Author Topic: canada day long weekend.  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: canada day long weekend.
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »
Jim,

There's a possibility I might go this coming weekend. BYOB was already somewhat low, from what Rick was telling me (deep enough after the third wave but a flip after one of the first two would result in contact with rocks). Not sure it will be in much longer, though you probably know this better than me. Re: this coming weekend, I just need to see if an alternative plan for a river run comes through, or if staying in town proves more realistic. Should know within the next day or two.

Best,

Stefan

Offline Jim Swabey

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
canada day long weekend.
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
Stefan, let me know the next time you're going, I work just down the road at Shirley's bay.

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Jim, it was BYOB we were at, and it was wicked! Great place to practice my paddling skills.
I also had a look at the rapids on the Quebec side (by the old mill) on the way home. Some interesting features!

Thanks so much for the link BTW; looks like it's got some good resources.

Offline Jim Swabey

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
canada day long weekend.
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
Stefan,

Here's a link to Ottawa whitewater:

http://cityofottawawhitewater.blogspot.ca/?m=1

This is an excellent site for all Ottawa play spots.

Offline Jim Swabey

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
canada day long weekend.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
I've decided to go to the Sewer wave for 11:30. It sounds like your going to the BYOB wave which is just off shore from the Britannia sailing club on the Ontario side. It's shallow but still a lot of fun.

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »
Stephan, are you going to the BYOB wave or the wave on the Quebec side. What time are you planning to start?

Hi Jim,

I'll be there around 10 am with Rick Mallett, one of the regulars on this stretch of the Ottawa so you may know him... I'm sure he would be as happy as I to have another fellow paddler there :)

I unfortunately don't know which of the two waves he was referring to, though I'm assuming since he said Britannia he meant on the Ottawa side. Here's his description, if it helps you to identify it:

"Britannia is a small front surfing wave with a class 2 run to get down
to the wave. The wave itself is class 3 though in terms of difficulty in
getting on and in terms of controlling your boat on the wave. Its tricky
because its shallow and its best not to flip, although I've been there with others who did and didn't hit rocks."

In any case, you can reach me on my cell phone until roughly 9 am at 613-795-5066. I will meanwhile try to ascertain which wave we're talking about

Offline Jim Swabey

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
canada day long weekend.
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
Stephan, are you going to the BYOB wave or the wave on the Quebec side. What time are you planning to start?

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I'd like to paddle
      the   Ottawa (Beachburg)  or  Gatineau (Maniwaki to Bouchette section+/-),
      Sunday June 30   or   Monday July 1. 

Given short notice, please telephone me 613 759-8348.

Based on previous years, there were very few paddlers July 1 afternoon.

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I am also interested in paddling either Sunday  June 30, or Monday July 1.  My preference is a later start and leaving my gas guzzler in town, so I'd like to car pool with someone.

Update: I'm going to discover the wave at Britannia with a friend on Monday morning instead. Hope your weekend is great!

Stefan

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
I am also interested in paddling either Sunday  June 30, or Monday July 1.  My preference is a later start and leaving my gas guzzler in town, so I'd like to car pool with someone.

Hi Doug,

I'm new on this forum and also relatively new to kayaking, though I now have a boat good for river running or playboating and all the necessary gear (including float bags and a whistle for rescue-requiring situations). I'm definitely interested in doing something (either a river run or hitting up a good playspot) Monday the 1st, and can bring my car (I have a roof rack and lots of cargo space so I can accommodate 2 or more kayakers easily). I can't say it's not a bit of a gas-guzzler itself, but it's pretty reasonable. I'm ok with a later start as well: whatever you think is reasonable.

Skill-wise, I can reliably roll on flat water and usually in the rapids as well, though a few times, in the choppy waters at Bate Island, I have had to swim after a few failed efforts at a roll. Thus, if you're willing to go out on the river with a learner like myself, and can sort of keep an eye on me, I would happily go with you and would be open to your suggestion of a destination. I heard from a friend that Babyface and some of those waves on the upper Ottawa may be low this weekend, but there might be some playspots on the middle channel if we run that... Not sure if you know the situation better. Also, I've only been to the upper Ottawa once, and it was to play on Babyface, so if we have to shuttle for a river run, you'll have to fill me in on the details. If we were just two-three people, I could easily bring a bike in the trunk and lock it up at the take-out to bike back to the car at the end of our run.

I'll check back on the forum periodically, though you can reach me at 613-795-5066 if you want a quick response. I'll be camping out of town most of Saturday and the first half of Sunday, so it's best if we can coordinate something by tomorrow morning :)

Cheers,

Stefan Wesche

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »

Offline ninja

• CdBMember2013
  • Class III
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
Booniebrooke on thursday pm with the guy on saw on tv yesterday?

i am in.

the river is 10 minutes away from work :)

Offline marcg

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
I would be open for something on Sunday or Monday

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »
Thursday evening?

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
Things might get interesting in the Adirondacks by then. I'm also interested in stopping in at Mountainman Outdoors in Old Forge:
http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/pages/whitewater-kayaks

Apparently the Laurentians are high too right now. Bonniebrook anyone Thursday?