Author Topic: Mississipi River levels???  (Read 933 times)

Offline JohnN

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
Re: Mississipi River levels???
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
A few of us ran it yesterday at 110.  The group run from April, with the video you watched, was at 140.

http://youtu.be/McQyIOW2MGU

The rapid Bill speaks of begins at 3:25.  There's a short lead in to it, a brief break, and then 2 good sized standing waves followed by the ledge hole.  I think the ledge hole surprised and delighted everyone on the April run, but I don't think anyone had any problems punching it.

Yesterday however, at 110, all 3 of us had a more... intimate ... encounter with the ledge hole. It may have become a bit stickier with the lower level, I have the scratches in my helmet as a reminder.  At 103 or whatever you run it at it will be even shallower.

I seem to recall a canoe group scouting the rapid in April on river right, and I think there's a large eddy behind a rock on river left just before the drop.  There's probably a sneak on either side, though I have no firsthand knowledge of that.  To me, the ledge hole has changed nature enough from 140 to 110 that I'd suggest you take a look at the situation in consideration of your beginner++ friend.

Note that the lead-in rapids before the drop doesn't give you a lot of time to boat scout. The "line" is probably still down the middle like in the video, just be aware that the ledge might flip the unwary and it is now shallow enough to hit bottom as all of us did with paddle or body parts.

Other than that the rest of the river was straightforward and fun as usual.

John
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:50:51 PM by JohnN »

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
Pefectomondo! Thanks Bill.

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
It's a bit lower than when we ran it in early April.
The rapid/ledges at the broken dam might rate as class III at best.

Bill

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
Got my answer! I just watched a video of the CdB run of the Mississipi on April 12th at basically the same level as it is today. We also did it last year at pretty much the same level as well. Just perfect for my buddy who is a beginner++!

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
    • My YouTube channel
Mississipi River levels???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
I've done the Mississipi quite a few times but never as high as it is now (103 cm). I'd like to bring a friend there this week who has less experience than me and I'm just wondering how everything looks like at these levels...rapids flushed out??....class 2 are now class 4+????????