Author Topic: HOHW - this weekend  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
Re: HOHW - this weekend
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
Hey!

I will be there. I am planning on racing but I guess I will decide the day off. It really depends if I have time and friends to do a practice lap with. I am doing safety in the morning so I have to plan everything fine. I am also going to try to get on a raft if there's some people missing.

Av

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
I personally have no interest in racing, or competing. its just not my idea of fun paddling. That said there is too much traffic on the river that day competing for me to have much fun just paddling the section.

I would rather go up and paddle it on a day when there are not 300 people trying to paddle it at the same time.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Also this email exchange.

From Kevin Maggs:

This is a timely reminder regarding hell or high water and king of clubs. Make sure you get se club members into the kayak race. It is for king of clubs points. It also helps show that the whitewater community values the pettawawa.   We've argued over the rules before. Does anyone remember the outcome?  5 boaters one has to be a woman. If you are short a boater what happens? If you don't have a woman boater do you get participation points? Do we limit the length of qualified boats?

From Wayne Donison:

My recollection:

1.  5 boaters; one woman minimum

2.  Minimum of 4 boaters; count slowest time as 5th score for team score

3.  Best 5 person team time wins

4.  Scoring towards KOC:

·         1st = 5 points

·         2nd = 4 points

·         3rd = 3 points

·         Participation = 2 points

(I would vote that any club registering 3 or more paddlers, male or female, automatically qualifies for participation points)

5.  No glass slalom boats, but otherwise we have had no boat length limit. I would say it is too late to change the rules for this year.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
FYI, I'm planning on being there and signed up for the race on Saturday. I haven't heard of many people going from CdB or participating in the race. If people are debating and want to try it, it's a lot of fun and if we have at least one woman participate in the race the points actually carry over to King of Clubs.

So anybody else going? If yes, are you planning on racing?

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
HOHW - this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
Hi

It used to be a protest paddle event, but DND decided to pull out of granting land access so it would be difficult to build anything WRT to the dam.

Weather forecast looks good for hanging around, racing and/or watching ....

There are some notable changes:
No fee to enter the kayak down river races, it's covered by Whitewater Ontario
The slalom race - paddlers must touch the marker or buoy in the eddy ...(you are on the honour system ... miss one = a DNF)
There is no dinner option - or you are on your own with respect to feeding yourself for dinner
It will cost $5/person for entry into the Great Canadian Warehouse for the apres - paddle event.

More info at:
http://www.hohw.ca/

Apparently the GKC is out to win Kevin Maggs got himself a greenboat for the weekend.

Larry