Author Topic: Farmers Rapids: Monday, May 19th 3:00  (Read 2774 times)

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
Re: Farmers Rapids: Monday, May 19th 3:00
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »
Well it is three years later, but here is a bit of an update on Upper Farmers at high volume:
http://howlinglab.blogspot.ca/2017/05/upper-farmers-rapids-gatineau-river-may.html

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
As I haven't received any interest in an outing for tonight, I'm going to bow out/cancel. Perhaps I'll head to the hardware store and buy some paint instead.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
Yep
http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=02LA015
both the Gatineau and Mattawa gauges correlate with the above link

You might have to use the old fashion paint line on a rock method and hope the rock doesn't move.

Larry

I'm not positive, but I believe that that gauge is more of a Ottawa River at Gatineau gauge. Just like the 'Mattawa' listing is not there for the Mattawa River level. Topo maps show the 50 Metre contour line crossing the Gat at the top of the Alonzo Wright rapids. The current 43.39 metres listed for that gauge fits with the Ottawa in my estimation. It would be good to know for sure though.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
Nice video!

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:42:14 PM »
I'm not positive, but I believe that that gauge is more of a Ottawa River at Gatineau gauge. Just like the 'Mattawa' listing is not there for the Mattawa River level. Topo maps show the 50 Metre contour line crossing the Gat at the top of the Alonzo Wright rapids. The current 43.39 metres listed for that gauge fits with the Ottawa in my estimation. It would be good to know for sure though.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
Hi

the only gauge is mentioned in your blog ... level in metres updated daily in spring time , once a week after the spring melt.
Assuming the gauge is located in Gatineau so any residents living on the 100 year floor plain can take some sort of action as they watch the levels rise.

Sort of the same reason there is a gauge on the Ottawa for the Britannia residents. I remember they were flooded out once.

Larry

Levels: ????? There are no gauges that I'm aware of this side of Maniwaki/Bonnet Rouge, and there are at least two dams between there and here. Adding to that uncertainty is the hydro station at Farmers itself. The amount of flow going through the generation station is fluctuating depending upon power demands etc. So it is difficult to predict what the flow is going to be at any time, but lower flows will likely provide other opportunities.

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:25:56 AM »
The drive there was short and there were absolutely no lineups. My only waits were to catch my breath.
Being there alone I was intimidated by the front wave, or waves as the left and right sides are often separated by a ridge. Both sides of that wave can have some funky foam-pile surges happening to them. So I did a bunch of drive-by looks with out attempting to catch that wave. I only attempted to catch the left side of that wave once, and I never hung around for long after checking in, but I caught it. The 2nd wave was more friendly even though it wasn't as obvious of a target. A sampler of those:
http://vimeo.com/95819063

Both river left and right provided good eddies to get a bit above the main waves, but to get further than that required attainment moves. That situation could be improved with some weeding of some bushes. But neither side was really bad as it is. Good footwear may come in handy at other levels.

Levels: ????? There are no gauges that I'm aware of this side of Maniwaki/Bonnet Rouge, and there are at least two dams between there and here. Adding to that uncertainty is the hydro station at Farmers itself. The amount of flow going through the generation station is fluctuating depending upon power demands etc. So it is difficult to predict what the flow is going to be at any time, but lower flows will likely provide other opportunities.

Anyhow, Richard and any others who might be interested, I'm game to head out there many evenings, but not today. How about Wednesday? Ideally a meeting time of 6:45 or so in order for some of us to miss the worse of the traffic, and to potentially be in a lower electrical power demand time. Perhaps meet at the Alonzo Wright Bridge area (river left along Rue Cartier) and set up a shuttle as one might as well run the other bits as well.

Offline waverider

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
I would be interested in checking it out sometime after work this week. Let me know when you can this week.

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
Farmers Rapids: Monday, May 19th 3:00
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »
I headed out to Champlain this morning and there were 13 boats/boards on the water at 10:00 A.M. No thanks for me!

I've been out at Farmers Rapids (on the Gatineau and this side of Chelsea) on both of the last two days. The rapids there are generally too big right now to do much with. But at the base of those rapids there is an interesting wave train with some surf potential at the top. The place/wave is kind of like Bonnet Rouge when it is in, but the wave is smaller, more surgey and a bit easier to catch? The eddy service takes a bit of work like Bonnet Rouge and there is a secondary wave behind the main one to be surfed. There are also some other waves in the vicinity that may provide some challenges.

The pic doesn't really demonstrate the size of that wave; most of the flow of the Gat. is flowing by the cross-section in that pic.
One can put in near the corner of Rue Saint Louis and Rue Paquin and then paddle upstream (easy) for 3-4 minutes to get to the top of the eddy.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4952747,-75.7615557,18z

That is what I'm planning to do for 3:00 unless there is some interest to do a little run on the river, and take out at the Alonzo Wright bridge. If so we can figure out shuttle details later.

More info about the area immediately above the wave train:
http://howlinglab.blogspot.ca/2013/06/farmers-rapids-and-lower-gatineau-river.html

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:44:06 AM by DaveH »