Author Topic: Kipawa  (Read 4230 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Kipawa
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »
So here I might be exagerating, but not much: it's almost worth the trip just to hit the last wave of the Zipper. As they say, 'hit it moving right for maximum effect.' Those who have done this know what I'm talking about. However I suspect that Larry was not in a position to see much of what was going on...

Luc demonstrated where not to go in the very first rapid (a Class IV business to be fair) on the first day. A blind run, in the order: Luc (I think the line is on the left), me, Jon (who had never even seen the rapid before) and Jim (I don't remember--we'll find out). As the rest of the crew was on shore to scout, I faintly heard Jon, who had listened to a description of the rapid earlier, behind me over the roar of whitewater, 'he's wayyy too far left!' Indeed Luc was, as I saw him disappear completely. With a last ditch effort to hit the green tongue, I went by, looking at the bottom of a red Dagger Nomad which--no exageration here--was a good 5 feet vertically lower than me, being trashed in a huge pourover hole. Not until I finished the rapid and eddied out that he emerged from the hole and manage to roll up in the Class III wave train below... And Jon, as you saw it's ok to hit the 2nd massive wave/hole!

Not to be outdone, Larry demonstrated yet another way not to run the same rapid: a rocky shallow creek-style line suited for a creek boat. He'll probably need a new skirt, perhaps also a new thumb.

I found out that sometimes coincidences happen. For instance, Matt Hamilton was paddling with us all weekend, and we discovered that I was paddling his old Burn. Thanks Matt for helping pull the boats up the portage climb--it really helped! The other coincidence: if you say just before entering a certain rapid that once you had to find a way to punch a massive hole because you had no choice, well, sometimes you might finally roll up to discover that you have one paddle stroke left before said hole... Let's say that a Pyranha Burn is good at punching big holes...

Something else that should be said: Dani now owns the Kipawa river. She got all her lines. And no sneak lines for her: ran all the meat. Very impressive! Everybody remained in their boats the whole river both days. Of course there were close calls... Somebody might need
one of those plastic balls for the skirt grab loop... And kudos to Jim--running a river blind, with no recollection of his previous run many years ago, all this one year from retirement!

This year's festival was a success. Credit goes partly to the nice weather, but mostly to the people who organized the event, and who negotiated with Hydro Québec a nice release for the whole weekend. The organisation has a new executive, and the past president was even able to paddle both days even though his car, boat and gear was in a garage in Deep River. The weather was amazing, insects were manageable and Scott allowed us to bring our vehicles down to the lodge which saved a lot of efforts... And everybody's belly was full after Saturday's fish fry dinner.

I wrote earlier that it was an intermediate river, not expert. But out of the 16 rapids, 4 of them are definitely a notch up in difficulty. Still, this leaves 12 amazing Class II-III rapids where it's ok to hit all the waves! That's two Ottawa rivers in a row, and you get to do it twice in two days. Something to consider next year if you want to bring your paddling up a notch! And bring a big boat. I am sure Larry and Bruce slept really well afterwards...

--C.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:19:21 PM by ChristianG »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
Great weekend indeed. And bugs weren't too bad.

Jim, I have your water bottle.

--C.

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Thanks to all of you coming to this remote place and making the Kipawa trip such a wonderful experience once more!!!
Barbara and Dirk, could it be that you took my stinky neoprene socks home with you? They were hanging to dry on your throw-rope, and I noticed you had the same brand, so maybe you have 1 extra pair now?
Looking forward to seeing you all on the river again soon!!!
Dani

Offline Renaud

• CdBMember2014
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
Hi Dani,
I don't have access to a phone right now, but you can email me.

renaudslr  (at)  hotmail (dot) com

when do you finish work (when can you leave) tomorrow?  where do you live?

Renaud

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
Yes! In case you need to call to discuss details: 613-737-7600 x 3504 (office) or 613-608-6471 (cell).
Dani
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:53:54 AM by Dani »

Offline Renaud

• CdBMember2014
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Hey guys!
Cindy and I are still wondering if we are going or not... she is coming back from the Gunks (7h long drive) tomorrow and we are leaving after, probably late afternoon.  I leave from Kingston to pick her up in Gatineau and then we head to the Kipawa. That's a lot of driving for us, so we are looking for a third driver to come with us and split the driving, gas, etc, etc. car is standard (and is fun fun to drive!!) we will come back on Sunday after a run of the river.
it is also possible that she decide to come back tonight so we can leave earlier tomorrow.
anybody interested?

Renaud

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
hi

Bruce (Mr. Room of Doom) and I are heading up  ... leaving Ottawa around 2 pm Friday

Jim ... use your canoe pack to carry your gear up and down the hill.
If the road is dry the better chance Scott will drive your stuff up the hill. It's is better to have it contained in one bag rather than scattered in the trailer.

Choose your tent site wisely, not too close to any of the cabins or the partyers will keep you awake.

I normally bring my simmerlite just in case I want some hot water or toast my bagels in the morning.

Larry

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
Jim,

I agree with Luc. Bringing a tent is better. Since the cabin are shared, you may not decided the time you want to go to bed. Also, people use them during the night for the bathroom. Because of the bugs, after sunset, people usually hang out inside them and can party very late.

Also I would like to repeat that packing LITE is the key here. Unless you are looking for an extra workout, going up the hill that leads to the parking lot from the camp site is not an easy thing.

We are planning to leave in the afternoon on Friday and stop for dinner on the way there. We will also stop for dinner on the way back. Luc knows a good place in Mattawa for Sunday night. We stopped there last year.

I highly recommend the Fish Fry on Saturday night. Previously, it was 20$ for fish the owners fished themselves and cook. It is really good and it is all you ca eat. On top of everything, it is less food to carry down the hill. You just have to bring your drinks.

Hope to see you there

Annie

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
Jim, you have yet to lead me astray ;D

Offline jforbesca

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
I remember the names, lines well don't follow me - right Larry.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 01:56:36 AM »
Ha Ha! This is my 2000th post! Amazing!

--C.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »
It doesn't matter. Jim doesn't remember the river nor the lines, so each time it's a new river. :-)

Jim, is this going to be a new river for you?

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »
Do we need to bring a tent (etc) or will we be staying in cabins?
Sharing meals?

Jim, is this going to be a new river for you?

--C.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Bring a tent... first come, first serve for cabin space/rooms. They are usually taken very quickly and are somewhat noisy since the cabins are communal.

Bring food for breakfasts and lunches. Dinner (assuming you participate in the fish fry) is taken care of Saturday. Friday night, well, that depends if you're still driving like we will be. Oh, and the cabins have full kitchens and there are BBQs for your convenience too! Same thing for cutlery, etc. All supplied.

It's a beautiful place, here's to hoping the weather is nice.

Emphasis on the hill.. they aren't kidding. LIGHT gear.. minimal gear.

Offline jforbesca

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
Do we need to bring a tent (etc) or will we be staying in cabins?
Sharing meals?