Author Topic: Kipawa  (Read 4231 times)

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Kipawa
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
Luc, Annie, Sandra and I are headed up on the friday! see you all there.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Kipawa
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
It's regarded as one of the best intermediate rivers in North America, it is not an expert run. You can read the description here:
http://kipawariver.ca/?page_id=40&lang=en

It's mostly big wave Class III with a few Class IV harder spots. Whatever is too intimidating can be easily walked. It's better to run it in a bigger boat, as it is a long day on the water and you might get tired in a playboat...

I am not a particularly fast learner, and I did this river at the beginning of my 2nd season, after buying a Necky Blunt from Paul Potvin. At the time, it was slightly above my skill level, so I missed all my lines and had to roll maybe 10-12 times. But it was still enjoyable. So in my opinion the only skill that is really necessary is a 99% reliable roll: if you miss 1 in 100 rolls, you should be ok... Of course other skills like bracing and river reading can be handy too to ensure a pleasant run.

Bug spray, bug lotion, bug shirt...

Oh, and last: try to keep your gear weight and size (paddling gear, tent, food containers, beer coolers etc.) to a minimum. The take-out, lodge and camping area are on the lake shore, separated from the parking area above by a long and very steep unpaved hill. You've been warned!

--Christian

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Kipawa
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:33 PM »
http://kipawariver.ca/?lang=en

Some of us are heading to the Kipawa fest.

Information including directions, pictures of the river and costs can be found in the link provided. But it doesn't include the sound of black flies constantly hovering around your head, the feel of cool fresh bottom fed reservoir water splashing in your face, or the cheer of the crowd as you descend Hollywood.

The general plan is to take Friday off work or at least the afternoon, in order to arrive at Scott's (the take out) at a reasonable time in the evening to set up camp. The drive time is around 5 hours.

The river is classified as III/IV+, so you must have solid river running skills to make the trip enjoyable for you and the group. Somehow describing the river as drop/pool is misleading ... since the pool or slack water is a couple kilometres downstream. So I will add another classification and apply a rating of AMFYOYO to some of the rapids. (acronym for Adios My Friend, You're On Your Own, you can substitute MF with another less family friendly phrase).

Things to remember:
bugs - they are really bad this year
bring cash
fish fry Saturday night for dinner - fresh fish caught, cooked and served in the bug free lounge.
Depanneur in Laniel - gas, beer and chips ... do you need anything else
there is also an AGM in the evening. If you attend, keep your hands in your pocket so you don't accidentally raise your hand and become VP :-)

Larry