Author Topic: KOC - 2014 edition - August long weekend  (Read 2500 times)

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
Re: KOC - 2014 edition - August long weekend
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
Unfortunately, I had to send a cancellation email to KoC.
Too bad, it's a really fun event to meet and paddle with fellow whitwater paddlers whom you see all the time on all the same rivers.

Date: Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: KOC
To: KWP <kwp@bell.net>

Hi KoC,

I'm sorry to say, looks like CdB, won't have a team for KoC (I know, I know... ). The only ones that would be interested (Luc, Christian, John, myself) have prior commitments and the rest don't seem to be interested.

Again, I'm very sorry.
It's a great event and I (as well as the others mentioned) totally support it. I just wish we could produce a team.

We'll try again next year...

Jacques
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:50:48 PM by jonyak »

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
I'm the same... I would really like to paddle the rouge, because I haven't done it yet and I've heard it's awesome, but I'd be down to paddle pretty much anything that weekend. I'm not so committed to KOC, I just really want to paddle.

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:01 AM »
Same for me!
Dani

Offline egilbert

• CdBMember2022
  • Class III
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:06:13 PM »
Did we miss the first deadline?  Anyone else interested?

To be honest, I'm not really that invested in KOC. I just want to paddle and I'd be up for anything within a three hour radius of Ottawa any day (or all days) during the long weekend...

Elizabeth

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
I am sure the club can assemble a team. Events are not that hard, last year many people had a lot of fun. If you can paddle the Main Channel, you can already do everything. Unfortunately I will be looking at stars etc. at the Algonquin Radio Observatory that weekend...

--C.

Offline egilbert

• CdBMember2022
  • Class III
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »
I wanted to paddle that weekend so count me in for Sunday!

Elizabeth

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
I think I'd probably be down for at least the sunday part... Not sure if I could make it up on the saturday... But if the events are all on sunday I should be able to do it!

How much do all the fees add up to approximately? For those that were there last year, approximately how much does the weekend cost?

Jordan

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
Nope.
I only posted to draw attention to the event. Gone canoe camping -

Larry

I'd like to be in for KoC 2014. That's one... who else? Larry, does that make 2? Christian?
Need at least one girl...
Need strong bodies too...
It's a really fun event and you meet lots of fellow paddlers you see on all the rivers we do and that will receive you if you're travelling in their area or travelling away (such as Gauley).

Jacques
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:28:43 PM by Larry W »

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
I'd like to be in for KoC 2014. That's one... who else? Larry, does that make 2? Christian?
Need at least one girl...
Need strong bodies too...
It's a really fun event and you meet lots of fellow paddlers you see on all the rivers we do and that will receive you if you're travelling in their area or travelling away (such as Gauley).

Jacques

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
New info about this years KOC.

You guys should go, its a lot of fun!!

King of the Clubs 2014 is coming. Please see the info below. It has all the vital information you and your club need to know to participate. If you are getting this info and want to partake pass the info on to your “CLUB” or take the initiative to get your club to come to the event. Find 5 paddlers and get them to commit to a super fun all inclusive paddling day. If you are not part of a whitewater paddling club and want to participate you can look into your area and join a paddling club or get your paddling friends together and start a club (Toronto looking at you!)

If you are going to be the contact for a club for King of the Clubs please email me back at kwp@bell.net so that I can pass on any vital information that you may need to know as the event approaches.

PS. Pass this info on to as many paddlers as possible.

King of the Clubs 2014

The 2014 King of the Clubs paddling event is quickly approaching. Below is the vital information you need to know. If you have any questions or comments please direct them to Whitewater Ontario (info@whitewaterontatio.ca) and / or Cale Reeder at (kwp@bell.net).

Event Synopsis:
 King of the Clubs is a Whitewater Ontario paddling event that involves whitewater paddling clubs. It is a fun all inclusive event that has several smaller paddling and non-paddling events throughout the day. Clubs (teams0 go against each other in each event and score is tallied over the day with overall point leader deemed King of the Clubs.

Date & Time:
 Civic Holiday Weekend (Events take place on Sunday August 3rd). 1st Event on water is approximately 10:00am (9:30am check-in) and approximate finish is dusk.

Ottawa River - on water events will take place on Ottawa River a various rapids. Events locations will be determined at later date. Day of events water levels will be determined as to location. On OWL gauge 5 or lower will be Main Channel, 5 or higher will be Middle Channel.
 Off water events will be hosted at River Run – Meadow Camp Grounds

Club Info:
 To participate you need to be a whitewater paddling club (email for definition of paddling club). Have at minimum 6+ boaters planning attending the event (this is due to the events using groups of paddlers rather than individuals). Your club has to be a Whitewater Ontario club ($25 club fee) and members participating need to be Whitewater Ontario members (yearly membership $20 through your club or $10 day fee for the King of the Clubs event).

Registration Info:
 Pleas e notify Cale Reeder at kwp@bell.net by July 21st if you Club is planning on attending. By July 28th please notify Cale Reeder at kwp@bell.net how many people are planning on attending in your club. This information is vital for the organization of events and food preparation. If you or your members are not Whitewater Ontario members registration for both clubs and participants can be done that weekend. Cash or cheque. All clubs need to have a “Contact / Organizer” that information can be sent to prior to the event. As well all Clubs should have a contact/ organizer for the event to ensure all registration forms, waivers, and payments for their club members are completed and submitted. Please let Cale Reeder know who your Club Contact is.

Food / Camping / Other Info:
 Dinner is prepared by the previous year’s winning club on Sunday Aug 3rd. All paddling participants and guests (family members etc.) are invited to participate. ORR (Ottawa River Runners) has the duty of chef this year. Dinner $5.00 for everyone (WO members or not) to help compensate the cost of the food. Payment can be made during Saturday night registration. Camping is offered at River Run and day and night fees are done solely through River Run. More information can be found at www.riverrunrafting.com.

Events:
 Remember location and event will depend greatly on water levels. Further details on events, rules locations, start times, numbers, etc. will be distributed at a later date.
 McCoy’s Relay – Whitewater relay through a rapid from eddy to eddy passing the rubber chicken. A timed event.
 Ball Chase – Several (100+) multicoloured balls are dropped in above a rapid as clubs teams try to get as many as possible.
 Cardboard Boat Race – Clubs make cardboard boats out of “cardboard” and duct tape and race boatercross style down a rapid. Cardboard and tape will be supplied on Friday night at River Run. This event is level dependent.
 Advanced Boater Cross – Clubs select 5 boaters to compete against other clubs winning team is the first to have all 5 boaters at the bottom. More advanced whitewater.
 Intermediate Boater Cross – Clubs select 5 boaters to compete against other clubs winning team is the first to have all 5 boaters at the bottom. Intermediate whitewater.
 Barrel Pull/ Strength Event – Various changes from year to year, involves feats of paddling strength and some strategy. Event takes place on flat water in River Run bay.
 Boat Toss – Female and Male categories. How far can you throw a kayak, same kayak used for everyone.
 Rope Toss – An accuracy throwing event involving a rope bag.
 Potential Additional Event:
 Z-drag – Club Teams will have to demonstrate and pull using a Z-drag.

Offline Andrewdotcom

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
Enjoyed this event last year but will be in Newfoundland over that weekend.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »
I would love to make it, but I have a wedding I will be at this year. :(

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »
And before someone asks, I will not be participating this year. I've had a family canoe trip down the Dumoine river planned for some time now during those days. I hope someone else steps up.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
KOC - 2014 edition - August long weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
This is being circulated by the GKC, in the hopes that there will be a good turn out this year.

This is what happened last year
http://smf.cdb-ottawa.com/index.php?topic=5491.msg18246#msg18246

Anybody in the CdB interested in entering a team? If so it would be a good start earlier in recruiting a team rather than later.

Larry

This year King of clubs has been moved to the Civic Holiday weekend. Please pass along to all of our clubs. Events in the past have been a relay at McCoys, a cardboard boat race, a ball chase down the Lorne, an advanced and intermediate boater cross, a barrel pull plus on land events. Does your club have what it takes to win the coveted KOC paddle?