Author Topic: Saturday July 5: was Petite Nation, now Otttawa Middle Chan.  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Re: Saturday July 5: was Petite Nation, now Otttawa Middle Chan.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Thanks for Your correct info Richard!

Next tine we'll follow the guage!

Paul :)

Offline waverider

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 08:05:24 AM »
Just to let everybody know, my friend was in the area and stopped and had a look at the petite nation at the put in and there is no water levels like Rock said. He's full of shit!!!! The gage looks good to me. He probably did not want nobody on the river and said that the levels where high. The levels are more for opened boats on the petite right now, here is a photo of the take out at the bridge. I don't see those rock's sticking out at 80cms!!!!???? The last rapid is almost rock garden now. The log on the upper section there is about 6 feet of clearance under the log, at 80cms it's one hell of a tight squeeze, the small beach is in on the right side just above the rock island. The petite does not go up that fast compared to other rivers. It will be slow to reach a certain level will stay there for a while and then come down slowly. So in all, that was my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:00:55 PM by waverider »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 08:12:05 PM »
See you at the Eagleston park and ride at 10 AM.

Paul

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
Sounds good

Bill

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
We'll see you at the WT take out.  If it's 10:00 at Kanata (Eagleson Park and ride) it must be 11:30 at WT?  Owl has not posted the level since Wednesday July 2 (level was 3).  I suspect it will be lower tomorrow. I has been dropping like a stone.

The Middle may be a bit boney and/or relaxing.  The Main was fun last weekend (but we can save it for Sunday)

Adam

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
Isn't that just like a princess to not want to smell like poo?

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
Dani has convinced me to do the Rouge tomorrow. I will see about Sunday if people are going.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Saturday July 5: Petite Nation
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
It is best to paddle the Petite Nation before the farmers upstream fertilize their fields for the year.

And it smelled like cow poo.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:47:29 PM by Larry W »

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
Re: Saturday July 5: Ottawa Middle Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
Paul Potvin just spoke to Roc at Aquaventures and it seems that JN's and Yann's info is correct: the river is running at high spring levels and the gauge is messed up.

So for folks wanting to do paddle something less difficult, the trip is being changed to the Ottawa: Middle Channel.
The meeting place will be the Kanata Park and Ride at 10:00 AM.

Bill

Offline ylockhead

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
JEAN-NICOLAS CYR cannot post this because he didn't pay his membership yet. But he wants you to all to know that

"Ill most likely join you guys on the Petite tomorrow... Please be advised though that the level is closer to 80 or 90 cms... No 33 as posted... with the rains...levels doubled to srping flows. T.

Not sure where JN got his flow numbers from because the official Quebec Gov't site says it running closer to 30 than it is to 80 cms

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/graphique.asp?NoStation=040406

Bill

That cehq.gouv.qc.ca gauge is messed up.  It was reading 32 on June 24 when we had that massive amount of rain (over 5 cm in 24 hrs).  I paddled it that evening- it was NOT running at 32.  It looked closer to early spring levels.  And it smelled like cow poo. 

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
JEAN-NICOLAS CYR cannot post this because he didn't pay his membership yet. But he wants you to all to know that

"Ill most likely join you guys on the Petite tomorrow... Please be advised though that the level is closer to 80 or 90 cms... No 33 as posted... with the rains...levels doubled to srping flows. T.

Not sure where JN got his flow numbers from because the official Quebec Gov't site says it running closer to 30 than it is to 80 cms

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/graphique.asp?NoStation=040406

Bill

Offline Renaud

• CdBMember2014
  • Class II
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
Seen on FB Ottawa paddling group

Kieran Dilla Smyth:
"New wood under water where the tree is on the left of the giant rock. Potentially fatal for a swimmer, couldn't tell what was down there but I paddled over it."

I agree with Jean-Nic. DO NOT STOP River right at the canyon.  the new owner is not very nice... he will probably get angry even if you just eddy-out on the right side! portage on the left side is not very nice, but doable.
Portage of the Portes de l'enfer (2nd canyon) is really not that bad on river right, except the very end that is a little steep... did it a few times to run the rapid again!

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
I'll join you at the take out.

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-1
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »

"Ill most likely join you guys on the Petite tomorrow... Please be advised though that the level is closer to 80 or 90 cms... No 33 as posted... with the rains...levels doubled to srping flows. There is still a log on the left side of the rock but you can still duck under or roll if you cant make the right od the rock line..easy to make for us but not beginners...Also...scouting off the right shore over the scouting off the right shore over the cliff is not an option... new owner will let his pitbulls attack you. Still forgiving and no need to scout really..

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
I am interested in coming. I have a new boat which I have to outfit and try out. It's a big boat and my 2Fun is probably more suited but it and I have to hit the water sometime this summer. I am interested in carpooling as I can't remember the way.

Liz