Author Topic: Saturday July 5: was Petite Nation, now Otttawa Middle Chan.  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Saturday July 5: Petite Nation
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
Aqua-adventure used to have a kayak school on the river ... Class II/III river.

The CdB used to have new comers day on the Petite, until parking became an issue.

1st canyon can be portaged on the river right with a few places to put in
there is a tree on River left at the rock - there is enough head space to do the limbo

2nd canyon --- portage to hell because there is none... because everybody runs that section
3rd canyon -- easy peasy
4th canyon -- we used to hike to across the farmer's field to get there ... fun, but I have only done it once

Rolling practice? This is a good river to practice the low brace technique.

Adam did a video last year at about the same level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isJzWSaRPfk

Larry

Bill,
(Sorry for all the questions)
Can the rapids be walked?  Is it good for a playboat - at this level. How good does your roll need to be?  Could someone hang out at the takeout and practice rolls?

Adam
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:40:07 AM by Larry W »

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »
I think Lariza and I are interested.

Adam

Offline Renaud

• CdBMember2014
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
Hi Adam,
all the larger rapids (Portefeuille, Slalom, Portes de l'Enfer) can be scouted/walked easily.  I am not sure about the other ones, but at medium-low water level they are class 2 - 3(-). Cascades would be a long walk...  A good option to avoid the first portage would be to put-in at Aqua-aventure (first R2-3 after the slalom). there might be a small parking fee.
I'll leave the "how good does your roll need to be" to Bill and whoever will do the rescue...
it can be paddled in a playboat at any levels; the lines are relatively easy.  however, there are no good playspots (except at the top of Cascades rapids at high level, a one-shot deal) and many, many manoeuvers to do if you want to add some challenges.  and there are a few green waves (e.g. bottom of the slalom) that are much easier to surf with a longer boat.  a river runner is more adapted to the river, but you can still go down in a playboat...
I would not practice rolls at the take-out.  there is no big eddy there and the current is relatively strong with waterfalls a few hundred meters downstream... not usually a place to be concerned, but practicing rolls there is not the best idea.  and the water is usually quite discusting at the take-out because the last flat is surrounded by farms... unless your into mud-mask therapy? Aqua-Aventure would be a much better place to practice.  and there are two nice little rapids with a pool a the bottom too.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
Bill,
(Sorry for all the questions)
Can the rapids be walked?  Is it good for a playboat - at this level. How good does your roll need to be?  Could someone hang out at the takeout and practice rolls?

Adam

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
Saturday July 5: was Petite Nation, now Otttawa Middle Chan.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
For those looking for an alternative to Rouge or Ottawa, a group of us are planning to run the Petite Nation.
Check out the link for a river description:  http://www.quebecwhitewater.com/en/river-level/view/9

If you want to car pool in Ottawa, please meet at Tunney's Pasture parking lot at Parkdale and Scott behind the Statscan building at 10:00 am. GPS: 45.405444, -75.732338

Otherwise, we should be at the take out at 11:00 AM, GPS:   45.651385, -75.115316

Due to high water levels (confirmed by Roc at Aquaventures) the trip is being changed to the Ottawa: Middle Channel
We'll be meeting at the Kanata Park anf Ride at 10:00 AM

Bill
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:28:55 PM by Bill Schlarb »