Author Topic: Ottawa River Weekend Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Ottawa River Weekend Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »
....Or if there are others going up tomorrow that haven't filled out the poll.....

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
Would either of the other two people going up tomorrow be able to give me (A car-less student) and my loki a ride up tomorrow evening when you go? (gas and possibly some beer could be arranged as a form of payment if that would make giving me a ride more worth-while)

I would rather go up tomorrow if possible, but if no rides are available I'll wait to carpool on saturday morning... I'm free any time after noon tomorrow and would be looking to leave from the Maitland/Woodroffe area just off the 417.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance for considering!
Jordan

Offline FeinDenz

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Denzil & 2008 Subaru Forester XT turbo
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
Fell of my push-scooter last night after the Netherlands-Argentina game at Elgin Street, the 1 beer + water was NOT the cause, just carelessness crossing the eddy line from sidewalk to road :-[   Doctor this afternoon advises NOT kayaking this weekend even if the x-ray tomorrow (Friday) does not show a fracture.

I one-hand loaded my kayak into my Forester this afternoon intending 2CU (to see you) all at Bate Island and Whispers if paddling even gently would be OK. No go, c'est dommage.

Should anyone want to have a clinic with Joey Hitchins, phone Liquid Skills 613-582-3340 or email   DL@liquidskills.com (Lisa).

Have good safe fun times tonight & this weekend,

Denzil

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
For those going up on friday, is there going to be a run down one of the channels on the friday afternoon/evening, or time spent at one of the park-and-play spots? Or are people planning just planning on getting there with just enough time to camp for the night?

Jordan

Hmmm... Pushbutton and Babyface should be about good (level now is +1 on the gauge). But I will only leave town around 19:00... I am bringing a telescope, however, so let's hope sky is clear!

--C

Offline FeinDenz

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
Offer from Joey Hitchins of Liquid Skills for Half or Full Day Clinics this Saturday 12th July:

Joey knows the Ottawa River's rapids really well. He & wife Lisa & 3 kids live just 8km north of River Run where they operate Liquid Skills, which he started with brother Chad over 10 years ago. He's been kayaking & rafting since working at Wilderness Tours 20 years ago at age 13. Joey's often been on the Canadian w-w team, helped design the Australian "river" for the 2000 Olympics, and regularly coaches w-w & competitive flatwater instructors & teams. You/we can have Joey's passion & talent this Saturday for personal clinics:

Half day
1:1 $250
1:2 $300 = $150 each
1:3 $350 = $120 (almost)
1:4 $400 = $100 each

Full day
1:1 $400
1:2 $500 =$250 each
1:3 $600 = $200 each
1:4 $600 = $150 each

Pay by cash or Interac online banking.

(I haven't made the time to check with Joey & Lisa Hitchins on his bio. This morning I sent a similar Personal Message to some CdB Execs for approval before this posting but I can't see that it was sent or received.)

Denzil

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
For those going up on friday, is there going to be a run down one of the channels on the friday afternoon/evening, or time spent at one of the park-and-play spots? Or are people planning just planning on getting there with just enough time to camp for the night?

Jordan

Offline Jeffrey J Templeton

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Never Stop Learning!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:08 AM »
I'd like to do a run Saturday or Sunday in my kayak, which I suck at.  If anyone is going to runt he middle?  My shoulder has been bothering me and I haven't paddled in almost two months so I don't feel up to the main.

Offline FeinDenz

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:03 AM »
Space for 1 leaving about 9am Sat., return via Route 148 through Pontiac on Sunday, flexible time. I'll visit Joey & Lisa Hitchins of Liquid Skills Kayak &  SUP Clinics nearer Beachburg on the way or leaving, my sharer should accept my routes not being direct.

My 2008 Subaru Forester XT has High Octane 94 @ about $1.60 or more  a litre, gas alone should be aprox $50 so $25 would be a fair return share, or $13 each way or similar. New Nova Scotia-made (factory in New Glasgow) Michelin tires, can safely handle rainstorms like yesterday's!

Denzil (FeinDenz)

Offline Peter L.

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Carless PhD student, often looking for a ride! :)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:04:04 AM »
Unfortunately, I can only make it for Sunday this weekend!

Is anyone going up on Sunday, and able to offer me a lift from 1132 Gladstone (near Parkdale), with gas money (and/or driving duty) on offer?

Alternatively, if anyone else is looking for a ride for that day (and is willing to share the cost) I could book a VrtuCar (a little less than $100, split however-many ways).

Looking forward to it!
Peter

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
Hi.

I, and others, have set up Hennessy hammocks there before. The camping area is surrounded by trees, and in the wooded areas there are spots where trees are far enough apart and free of underbrush--someplaces there is even enough flat space to pitch a tent. See you there!

--C.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:51:58 PM by ChristianG »

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:33:57 PM »
If I were to bring a hammock tent, would there be appropriate trees for me to set it up? Or does one need to bring a traditional tent?

(I'm aware that this looks like I'm asking if there are trees where we're going, but I assure you this is not the case... Although I'm not too picky about where I set it up, if they say that we're all supposed to camp in one giant field, that makes it hard, and as I haven't been there before, I don't know what to expect.)

Offline CdB-Exec

• CDB Executive
  • Class II
Ottawa River Weekend Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Our club's Ottawa River Weekend is happening on Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!

This is a camping/paddling weekend on the Ottawa river. Some people arrive Friday evening and make it a three-day event. Camping is at 'Paddler's Meadow' at River Run Rafting. This club camping weekend does not involve a 'Feast' (that one takes place in August), so bring your own food to cook at your camp site, or eat at River Run's outdoor restaurant--you can get a weekend meal plan or go a la carte. Saturday evening is when we have our bbq/cookout/bonfire (if permitted).

Groups can go down the Middle Channel, the Main Channel, park and play, level dependent of course, or spend the weekend practicing rolling and other techniques. Rinse and repeat the next day!

We camp at the Paddlers's Meadow at River Run, a quiet group camping section and dog friendly. At the main camp there are also change rooms, hot showers, an outdoor covered restaurant great for breakfast, lunch or dinner, a small store, a bar with a pool table, entertainment at night with big group bonfire going on (or make a fire at your camp site)... RSVP so that we can reserve a Coureurs de Bois Only Camp Site.

Here is a link for directions to River Run: http://www.riverrunrafting.com/resources/directions/  and the link to the RR's Homepage with a description of amenities and prices: http://www.riverrunrafting.com/

When you arrive at River Run, just say that you are with the CdB. We will be calling them to let them know approximately how many members will attend.

This is a relaxed, come and go as you like, event. Come and stay for as much of the weekend as you want. You can fit it in your plans any way you like, knowing that you have a camp de base at River Run with familiar and welcoming CdB faces to greet you, paddle the river with you and share stories with you around the camp fire in the evening. All weekend!

The plan is to meet at the campsite at River run at 11:00 on Saturday to arrange shuttle.  For carpooling, meet at the Eagleson Park'n'Ride at 9:30.

We hope you can all attend. Cheers!

--CdB Executive.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:36:12 PM by ChristianG »