Author Topic: Ottawa River Weekend Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!  (Read 3555 times)

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
Re: Ottawa River Weekend Friday July 11 to Sunday the 13!
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »
For Dani and Liz..
As per Urban Dictionary:
Carajo, as per the Royal Academy, the male reproductive member or penis. It may have been later applied by sailors to describe the top mast lookout point in reference to an undesirable place to be in or thing to have but more than likely initiating with the negative connotation which applies when referring to said member in undesirable situations.
In most Spanish speaking countries the original connotation has been lost.
It has transformed to:
"Go to hell, get out here, go f*(% yourself... "vete para el carajo";
"No me importa un carajo"... I don't give a $h1t!

BTW, fun weekend :-)

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
Would your kayak have to be broken/pinned to count as "shipwrecked"? If that's the case, I'll take my chances with just St. Adjutor...

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
Google unfortunately found no patron saint for rolling kayakers but I can reassure you, once swimming, you're well covered again - there are plenty of patron saints for the shipwrecked, amongst them St. Paul, St. Anthony, St. Peter and St. Andrew. Those Catholics are really spoiled - Liz, no wonder you enjoy swimming every now and then ;)

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 12:22:47 AM »

St. Adjutor (died 1131)
Feast day: April 30

You’ve probably never heard of St. Adjutor. He is one of the thousands of local saints who never achieved the international fame of St. Anthony of Padua or St. Therese the Little Flower. But as the only patron saint for swimmers, he deserves a wider reputation.

Now if we could only find a patron saint for rolling up. ;D

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
The "French" apostle we were looking for was Jacques, the original Hebrew name Yaakov (Jakob) - Google was not able to illuminate to me how he transformed into an English James.
The Spanish "Carajo" is the equivalent of the Italian "cazzo" but unlike in Italian, perceived as a really bad word - would you know why, Jacques? The words are however not related etymologically: "The etymology is unknown, but the most plausible source on the basis of both semantics and historical phonology appears to be unattested Latin *c(h)araculum, which would have been a Latinized diminutive of Greek charax 'stick'. This also provides a single, phonologically coherent source for the cognates Portuguese caralho and Catalan carall. Attempts to attribute carajo and Italian cazzo to the same etymon fail on phonological grounds, as the /r/ of carajo (or its absence in cazzo) remains unexplained, and no Latin phonological sequence develops as both /x/ in Spanish and /tts/ in Italian." BTW, as Barbara pointed out,  the Germans use the Spanish word "carajo" for "speed" instead. Not sure if this has influenced the outcome of the finals, though.
Larry exclaimed several carajos but not the apostles' names while gasping in between his attempts to roll up and therefore had to swim. It is good that there is some moral out there in the wilderness.
D

Funny lady!

Paul:)

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
The "French" apostle we were looking for was Jacques, the original Hebrew name Yaakov (Jakob) - Google was not able to illuminate to me how he transformed into an English James.
The Spanish "Carajo" is the equivalent of the Italian "cazzo" but unlike in Italian, perceived as a really bad word - would you know why, Jacques? The words are however not related etymologically: "The etymology is unknown, but the most plausible source on the basis of both semantics and historical phonology appears to be unattested Latin *c(h)araculum, which would have been a Latinized diminutive of Greek charax 'stick'. This also provides a single, phonologically coherent source for the cognates Portuguese caralho and Catalan carall. Attempts to attribute carajo and Italian cazzo to the same etymon fail on phonological grounds, as the /r/ of carajo (or its absence in cazzo) remains unexplained, and no Latin phonological sequence develops as both /x/ in Spanish and /tts/ in Italian." BTW, as Barbara pointed out,  the Germans use the Spanish word "carajo" for "speed" instead. Not sure if this has influenced the outcome of the finals, though.
Larry exclaimed several carajos but not the apostles' names while gasping in between his attempts to roll up and therefore had to swim. It is good that there is some moral out there in the wilderness.
D

Offline FeinDenz

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Denzil & 2008 Subaru Forester XT turbo
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »
Yes, I would have liked the company & to see if I could run the Middle Channel on my own, did it 3 days in a row 3 weekends ago with the guidance & recoveries (no swims, no wet exits, promise!) of Joey Hitchins.

Last year today Sat. 13 July I did 3 rapids of Main Channel, of course walked Garvin, with help of President Bill & Bruce + son Ryan & the rescue after McCoy's by Bill & Larry.

Sarah & Larry strongly recommended a course e.g.  with MKC, so I did 3 intuitive days with Liquid Skills. If my painful L wrist is well healed (XRay at present shows no fracture), I've marked Beast Feast Fri. 8th - Sun. 10th AUG , though I may walk Lucifer's! Not sure I can or want to match my cartwheels & underwater explorations   :P

Thanks to Execs & volunteers for putting this weekend together. Hope today's rain wasn't a bad dampener. Timing at the implosion of Sir John Carling Agriculture building was perfect, rained from 7am blast which reduced the dust.

Denzil

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:32:45 PM by FeinDenz »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 12:48:41 PM »
Great day on the river! Great to see old and new friends!

I know it's a lot of work so Thank You to the organizers,

Paul :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:51:28 PM by windowshade »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
Not too worry, there will be some people camping on Saturday evening. Most people don't  RSVP, nor do we keep attendance records.

There will be a Main Channel adventure.... See you at 11
Actually it might be better to arrive a bit earlier to set up your tent.

Larry

will be there at RR at 11am.  Will camp on Sat and Sunday... if some of you camp too!

Offline SarahD

• CdBMember2016
  • Class II
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
will be there at RR at 11am.  Will camp on Sat and Sunday... if some of you camp too!

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »
s'okay. It looks like I'll just have to come up saturday morning. I don't feel like I'll miss out on much paddling anyways, so it's all good!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Interesting. The supermoon is a few percents larger than usual, not noticeable by eye. Undortunately, full moon is the least interesting time to look at it, no 3-D effect from shadows. Saturn however is very pretty, we'll look at it if sky permits!

As for offering a ride--I have a full car unfortunately.

--C.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
A supermoon is scheduled to take place on July 12, the first one since January 30.
Supermoons refer to when the moon is slightly closer to Earth in its orbit than usual.
The effect of the closer orbit is most noticeable when there is a full moon.

... I am bringing a telescope, however, so let's hope sky is clear!

--C

Offline Seamus

• CdbMember2018
  • Class II
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
Seamus from Kingston hoping to join in on Saturday (may bring one other K-town paddler). Looks like you will begin shuttle at River Run around 11am. Will look for you at McCoys putin.

Seamus

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »
I'd like to do a run Saturday or Sunday in my kayak, which I suck at.  If anyone is going to runt he middle?  My shoulder has been bothering me and I haven't paddled in almost two months so I don't feel up to the main.

There will be a group running Middle Channel on Saturday.

Bill