Author Topic: *Important* - Pump House paddling  (Read 1187 times)

Offline rvg

• CdBMember2023
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: *Important* - Pump House paddling
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:52:22 AM »
There is also a calendar on the ORR website that layout when courses or groups are happening that you might find useful.  http://www.ottawariverrunners.com/calendar.php

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
You can just show up and paddle. They are always running courses and coaching, so just be respectful. I always try and keep out of their way.

You put the money in a little box that's down by the river.

Offline nigel

• CdBMember2017
  • Class I
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi - I'm new to both Ottawa & the CdB. How does the Pumphouse work for non-members of the ORR? Can I just show up (when it's not booked for other groups and training) or are there set times when the water flows? Who do I pay the daypass to?  Thx in advance for help

Offline Jordan Reinders

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
Although I didn't do it, and I don't know who did... would it be worth it to go on thursday to help to put it back just in case thepeople who did it don't take responsibilty for it? I'd hate for ORR to take the brunt of the blame because people were too unwilling to help cleaning it up.

I'd be willing to help out if others would as well?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:12:33 PM by Jordan Reinders »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:49:14 AM »
Moving rocks at the Pumphouse ... who would do that?

I copied the post to Facebook - Ottawa Paddling Crew.

Larry

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
*Important* - Pump House paddling
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
Paddling at the Pump House is great for getting some low water paddling!
You are asked to pay $5.00/day to ORR or get a ORR membership. They are responsible for the course and safety of it.

During Pump House shutdown with low water running, somebody tried to create a new wave by taking stones from the embankment. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DOING SO!!!

Explanation from ORR administration:

"Finally, unidentified paddlers piled up some rocks from the embankments to create a new wave around the middle of the pumphouse course when the water was off earlier this week. A few points need to be emphasized. The club was fined $11,000 several years ago for displacing rock from the embankments. So please if you see someone moving rocks off the embankment, ask them politely to stop. Use of this site is a privilege which we can lose. In creating the new wave, an eddy was lost and an attainment was made more difficult. Furthermore the rock will not stay in place. There is a reason that all of our obstacles are built with reinforced MTO grade concrete. There is a scheduled dewatering of the tailrace this Tuesday and Thursday. If the persons responsible could replace the rock on the embankment during this dewatering, it would be much appreciated.
Douglas Corkery"

Jacques
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:20:45 PM by ChristianG »