Author Topic: Lower Rouge Saturday August 22  (Read 3751 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Lower Rouge Saturday August 22
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 02:01:32 PM »
Well, Paul may be selling himself a bit cheap. Finishing all rapids staying in the boat is success in whitewater. So he handled the river just as it had to be done, fear or not.

The usual seal launch was rather subdued, the water below being so high. And Marc wasn't about to walk down the last fall, so he had his own 2nd seal launch there.

Daniel and I did the little cascade river right at the last drop--a nice little creek move down a slide onto a rooster tail then into a pool. After going over the rooster tail (no rock there!), I disappeared into a deep pool of aerated water, white bubbly stuff well over my head. I popped up smiling ear to ear a few feet below. Daniel experienced the same! No sign of the throwbag I lost there last summer...

--C.

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Re: Lower Rouge Saturday August 22-Trip Report!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:47 AM »
Yes, as I walked back to see the hole I fell into twice, I slipped on the rocks and nearly visited the washing machine a third time...

Paul 8)

Yes I could confirm, your roll is 110%!

When you walk beside the washing machin on slipplery rock, did you hear the river talking to you? 'You have to come to see me again'  ;)

Lets wait a few weeks and I hope you will come again with us,

Overall it was a nice sunny day and the smoke meat poutine was great

I really really have to stop being the entertainment on these trips!

Trip Report- Lower Rouge

Went with my good friends Bill, Christian, Jacques, Daniel and Marc. We are all in creek-boats.

Where to begin?

100 meters cube per second doesn't look at all, feel like or paddle like 35 M 3/Sec.... at all.

Big, pushy, meaty and especially MUNCHY come to mind as fitting adjectives.

Easy ferries become epic ferries. Can't do my lazy Ottawa R. paddling.

Attaining eddies become a personal celebration.

Missing eddies really pushes up the fears factor as I don't recognize the river any more and easy Class two rapids look like class three rapids that are usually at the top of my comfort level.

Some of the drops are now class 4, way above what I like to paddle.

Everybody flips and rolls in Elizabeth.

Slice and dice taking the middle line is much pushier. Getting to the eddy at the bottom is not easy.
I miss the eddy, barely miss Draino hole and end up above Mushroom Rapid with the rafts in Texaco Eddy.

Scout Mushroom Rapids for a really really long time. Last time I ended up playing rodeo star in the mushroom itself before flipping upside down.

This time the mushroom is vestigial and the line seems direct. Go left after the first hole at the top into the big eddy at the bottom to avoid being sucked into the washing machine.

I start my run. I think I'm left enough but the water is really pushing right, fast, right after the second hole. I'm to much right. I angle my boat sideways left and before I've planted two good strokes, I fall into a little dip and curler sideways and am upside down knowing that I'm going into washing machine at 100.

Christian said that to fall into washing machine, you would have to do it on purpose. Well on purpose or not I'm going to visit the washer now . Just before I hit I roll up, take a deep breath and find myself going down the washer ledge backwards. Everything becomes black. I'm in a tight tuck. I see light. I push my paddle up and roll. Yes! I made it!!!
Wait I'm at the top of the recirculating eddy just after the washer. The eddy angle steeply down towards the washer and the water in pushing me back in the washer. I try to paddle out as hard as I can, scared shitless, getting dragged closer and closer until my stern catches and then I'm in the washing machine again.

I wash up in my boat, upright, further,  beyond the recirculating eddy. YES!

I hear a lot of yelling to see if I'm okay, lots of laugh in as I tap my helmet and give a thumbs up sign.

The guys were great and supportive though at this
level I felt like a total newbie again.

Christian and Daniel
Even styled the last waterfall sister!

The poutine afterwards was awesome as usual!

And on the positive side I have to think now that my roll is pretty darn good.

Paul :)

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:43 AM »
Yes I could confirm, your roll is 110%!

When you walk beside the washing machin on slipplery rock, did you hear the river talking to you? 'You have to come to see me again'  ;)

Lets wait a few weeks and I hope you will come again with us,

Overall it was a nice sunny day and the smoke meat poutine was great

Trip Report- Lower Rouge

Went with my good friends Bill, Christian, Jacques, Daniel and Marc. We are all in creek-boats.

Where to begin?

100 meters cube per second doesn't look at all, feel like or paddle like 35 M 3/Sec.... at all.

Missing eddies really pushes up the fears factor as I don't recognize the river any more and easy Class two rapids look like class three rapids that are usually at the top of my comfort level.

Slice and dice taking the middle line is much pushier. Getting to the eddy at the bottom is not easy.
I miss the eddy, barely miss Draino hole and end up above Mushroom Rapid with the rafts in Texaco Eddy.

Scout Mushroom Rapids for a really really long time. Last time I ended up playing rodeo star in the mushroom itself before flipping upside down.

This time the mushroom is vestigial and the line seems direct. Go left after the first hole at the top into the big eddy at the bottom to avoid being sucked into the washing machine.

I start my run. I think I'm left enough but the water is really pushing right, fast, right after the second hole. I'm to much right. I angle my boat sideways left and before I've planted two good strokes, I fall into a little dip and curler sideways and am upside down knowing that I'm going into washing machine at 100.

Christian said that to fall into washing machine, you would have to do it on purpose. Well on purpose or not I'm going to visit the washer now . Just before I hit I roll up, take a deep breath and find myself going down the washer ledge backwards. Everything becomes black. I'm in a tight tuck. I see light. I push my paddle up and roll. Yes! I made it!!!
Wait I'm at the top of the recirculating eddy just after the washer. The eddy angle steeply down towards the washer and the water in pushing me back in the washer. I try to paddle out as hard as I can, scared shitless, getting dragged closer and closer until my stern catches and then I'm in the washing machine again.

I hear a lot of yelling to see if I'm okay, lots of laugh in as I tap my helmet and give a thumbs up sign.

Christian and Daniel

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »

Trip Report- Lower Rouge

Where to begin?

Christian and Daniel

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:31:03 PM by windowshade »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
It is at 100 m^3/s indeed! Leaving the house now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:31:13 AM by ChristianG »

Offline RS

• CdBMember2015
  • Class I
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
  • Carping down the river like a champ!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »
Not feeling well think we're going to have to pass as well

Offline Jeffrey J Templeton

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Never Stop Learning!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »
We are not going to be able to make it.

Offline RS

• CdBMember2015
  • Class I
  • Carping down the river like a champ!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
I'll be there with Laura as well at the Timmies!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:19:28 AM by RS »

Offline Jeffrey J Templeton

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Never Stop Learning!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »
Jess and I will meet you all at the take out for noon.

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:17:08 PM »
We plan to meet at the Tim's on Montee Paiement [GPS 45.505090, -75.677054] @ 10:45am or be at the takeout [GPS 45.643859, -74.689047] at 12:00 noon.

The flow has risen to 90 cms which is in the high range.

Please feel free to use this thread to arrange rides and to let folks know you'll be there.

Bill

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
If it is around 90 I guess I will trade in the playboat for the creekboat.
creek boat for me , hope it will go up to 130  :)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »
My prediction: 100 m^3/s on Saturday. The beginning of the big boat range, although still manageable in a playboat. Above 100, there is a second seal launch at the last drop! --C.

Offline marcg

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
If it is around 90 I guess I will trade in the playboat for the creekboat.

Offline ylockhead

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
Level will likely be over 90 by Saturday AM.  It is going up exponentially with the rain from yesterday.
https://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydro/graphique.asp?NoStation=040204

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
This saturday is my anniversary... so I guess I need to spend it with my wife.

:-\