Author Topic: Beaver (Taylorville & Eagle sections), Sat Sept 26th  (Read 2929 times)

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
Re: Beaver (Taylorville & Eagle sections), Sat Sept 26th
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »
I'm likely in for the Taylorville section.

If some other just Taylorville section folks are interested I'd like to maximize my time/runs there. Like keep running it or at least playing at the bottom until the water is turned off. When I've been there before people tended to pack up before the water was turned off so that they can head to the Eagle section. That makes sense if you are running it, but for the watchers it just means waiting around when they could of been paddling. Anyhow, if anyone else is game I'm hoping to stretch things out at Taylorville.

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
Hey!

I would join too if somebody would like to carpool. I don't have a roof rack, so I can always drive by myself, but would like to share a ride. Let me know.

Av

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:45:55 PM »
I have approved her account a couple days ago.

I should be on this trip as well.

--C.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
She said "oops"... presumably she did something off beat when she registered. She has access with Kayak1987. You are indeed, "on the ball" in case anyone doubted it. lol

Hope to see you there.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
hi

the membership person is on the ball .. ...Shauna would be the last person registering to the board, which can be seen by clicking on [home] and looking at the line "welcome blah blah...." Full access has been granted some time ago.

On the other note: I might join you folks on the Taylorville section ....

That was wishful thinking on my part. No can do this weekend.  Have fun.

Larry

Shaunna Kent (aka Ducky on here) will be joining us as well. But she can't post yet... apparently something about the membership person not acknowledging her payment... *cough* Larry *cough* ;) (she also just informed me she thinks she may have written a different username or something when she paid in case that helps).

She'll be joining Jon and I in my car.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:01:08 PM by Larry W »

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »
Shaunna Kent (aka Ducky on here) will be joining us as well. But she can't post yet... apparently something about the membership person not acknowledging her payment... *cough* Larry *cough* ;) (she also just informed me she thinks she may have written a different username or something when she paid in case that helps).

She'll be joining Jon and I in my car.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:05:31 PM by lafreniere.luc »

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
Both of these run are more technical and have higher consequences than alot of the runs that are around ottawa, but the Taylorville section of the beaver is really a gem of the area, and should not be missed. It is a great step up for someone who is comfortable on class 3 whitewater and wants to try something a bit harder, scarier and has more consequences.

These only run in sept and this weekend is the last release of the year. IMO it should not be missed if you are interested

All the rapids are scoutable, and have pools above them.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
Beaver (Taylorville & Eagle sections), Sat Sept 26th
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
Hello everyone,

Yes, this message is practically identical to the one I posted a few weeks ago. Times and dates have been changed accordingly.

***NOTE*** If most people are organizing rides on their own, please say so. That way we can avoid meeting at the park & ride and just meet in the USA.

This Saturday, Sept 26th, Jon and I will be paddling the Taylorville and then the Eagle section of the Beaver river in New York. BeaverFest is now over, so crowds should be minimal. Water release is schedule from 10:00AM to 2:00PM for Taylorville, and 1:00PM to 5:00PM Eagle section.

Please post if you're planning on joining us.

Meet at the Fallowfield Park & Ride for 7:15AM sharp to organize carpooling: https://goo.gl/YlpIWR

If we leave around 7:20AM, assuming border crossing goes well, we should be at the takeout around 10:00AM (give or take) with a usual pit stop at the corner store in Ogdensburg.

We'll be heading to the Taylorville section first: https://goo.gl/rvDxHp (takeout)

Most likely do two laps and then head over to the Eagle section: https://goo.gl/mgh0nG (Put in)

Odds are we will have post paddling celebratory/epic failure brewskis/food at a local establishment.

DON'T FORGET PASSPORTS!!! Also, please make sure you have travel insurance and make sure you have the right contact info in case something happens. Just let one of your buddies on the river know where the card is. If you don't have travel insurance, MEC offers discounts on such travel insurance for high risk sports, even for only a few days! Bottom of the page here: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Services/Membership/MECMemberDiscounts.jsp

General Information:

Both the Taylorville and Eagle sections are part of the Beaver river which on a scheduled water release. These sections can only be paddle a few Saturdays in a year mostly during September.

Taylorville is a fantastic creeking run with lots of variety but is very short. No point in bringing playboats, bring your creeker. Full face, elbow pads, etc. are not absolutely necessary, but most people wear them for this section. You can read all about each rapid here: http://goo.gl/GdgYDS

The Eagle section is definitely only for the more advanced boaters. It has potential serious consequences and is considered a class 5 run. Full face helmet, elbow pads, etc. are highly recommended for this run. If you don't want to run the Eagle, you can easily come and watch to entertain yourselves. DON'T FORGET YOUR THROWBAG! The paddlers would appreciate people on shore having their throwbags ready just in case. Read more here: https://goo.gl/TMts6Y and my video from a few years ago https://goo.gl/5sVR4Q

Salut!