Author Topic: WT buys River Run  (Read 8617 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: WT buys River Run
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »
WT extends the purchase deadline of the $65 pass  -- until May 8th

Pass holders now receive $8 discount on camping fees (as a result of too many customer complaints)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:35:11 PM by Larry W »

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:37 PM »
Yeah, maybe they did give back to the "community", but to my knowledge, that is a very small crowd of competitors at the World's. The vast majority received little to no benefit in regards to that portion of the conversation, in fact, many couldn't or decided not to go paddle because of the World's. But I don't think they realize this.

*sigh*
I completely agree!  Garb was very crowded in Aug and early Sept -prime surfing season.
Adam

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »
a few people have  --- at least according to the FB threads
As Jon ... I won't buy a pass this year.

Larry

Has anyone bought a pass yet?

Adam

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
I personally will not be buying a pass.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Has anyone bought a pass yet?

Adam

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
Yeah, maybe they did give back to the "community", but to my knowledge, that is a very small crowd of competitors at the World's. The vast majority received little to no benefit in regards to that portion of the conversation, in fact, many couldn't or decided not to go paddle because of the World's. But I don't think they realize this.

*sigh*

WT's definition of community is quite small indeed.

Paul

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

*sigh*

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
the link to the interview is no longer available ... apparently there was a copyright infringement on the photo.
article should return in the future.

I did read it.

Summary:
WT lost a lot of money holding the past few Freestyle events.
Operating cost for roads is high but there no $$$ amount provided
Liability insurance is also costly
Profit margins for their company is thin.
WT keeps on touting how connected they are to the local whitewater community in providing so much ... (that is a bunch of crap)

Larry

Well I never got an update on whether they would give the club a discount on passes. But I did here from other clubs and they are apparently not doing any discounts.

Here is a bit of an update from Joel: http://www.kayaksession.com/itv-joel-kowalski-on-ottawa-rivers-take-out-fees/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 05:08:29 PM by Larry W »

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
Well I never got an update on whether they would give the club a discount on passes. But I did here from other clubs and they are apparently not doing any discounts.

Here is a bit of an update from Joel: http://www.kayaksession.com/itv-joel-kowalski-on-ottawa-rivers-take-out-fees/

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 10:23:02 AM »
I reached out to WT and asked some questions: answer in red

How are the records maintained? Is my name on the season pass and/or a list of names kept at the Gate house
a.       It’s like a season pass at a ski hill, you will have a photo on file with your RFID card, which will be scanned, photos will appear on the computer for our staff member in the gate house at River Run.

For paddlers that have purchased a season pass for take out, what is the cost of camping for the night?
Since on the website says
Take out = $8
Take out + Camping = $20
Which would infer that camping per night for season pass holders = $12
Would that be correct?

At this point the camping rates are $20 / night.  There is no plan for discounts for season pass holders.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:32:46 AM by Larry W »

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
On a potential positive note, maybe we'll be able to pay for take-out camping at River Run rather than driving all the way to WT...

Offline Jeffrey J Templeton

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
  • Never Stop Learning!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »
Message posted on Level Six Facebook page:

"Calling all Ottawa River Friends and Paddlers! In recent days, there has been a bit of a backlash towards take out fees being charged to paddlers in order to use a landowner's private land. The discussions have brought to light many different issues with everyone having a stake in the outcome. In order to make sure this "amazing river and community" doesn't lose paddlers, the owner of Level Six (a former raft guide and safety boater on the Ottawa) has pledged that for every 2016 Drytop or 2016 Drysuit purchased from Levelsix.com he will buy you an annual pass to the takeout.
All you need to do after you purchase the qualifying item is email us at Level Six and we will get a pass done in your name and email it to you. Happy Paddling, Happy Spring, Happy People!"

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »
I am going to look into see if they can do something for the club.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 07:05:54 AM »
I take it that's per person. Is there any group rate or family rate?
Adam

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
Little more info on the reason from Ben Fraser: So I've just had a chat with Joel Seems the problem really isn't road costs as much as liability. Seems there is a few losers in our ranks that have been suing WT in private for personal injuries on property and it's those costs that are driving this fee. Sad that people can't accept responsibility for their own actions and ruin a good thing for all. In light of that I can't really find issue with paying a fee to cover the cost of said losers other than an issue with the losers themselves.