Author Topic: Thursday is Paddling at Champlain Bridge Club Night  (Read 44424 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Thursday is Paddling at Champlain Bridge Club Night
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
Correct - I got nothing to do with creating or writing the online petition... just passing along the stuff.
Larry W

Great job indeed. But I believe John Rathwell wrote it, not Larry "Cracked Kayak" Wong... I just signed it.

By the way, I am sure that at least one guy 'bates there after dark, but it is in fact called Bate Island.

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
Great job indeed. But I believe John Rathwell wrote it, not Larry "Cracked Kayak" Wong... I just signed it.

By the way, I am sure that at least one guy 'bates there after dark, but it is in fact called Bate Island.

--C.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:54:26 PM by ChristianG »

Offline rick

• CdBMember2016
  • Class I
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2

Offline rick

• CdBMember2016
  • Class I
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Just to let everyone know, apparently the NCC says that bates island is officially closed indefinitely, so it might be good to put in on the ontario side and paddle over to the way.
I was there yesterday, and saw no real signs that it was supposed to be closed. Didn't notice any damage from any erosion activity or anything like that either.

I was there yesterday and it was obvious that it was supposed to be closed, but someone had moved the barriers to the side so that they could access the island, the kind of thing that could annoy the authorities and delay re-opening. If you are interested in getting it open I suggest you call the NCC at 613-239-5000 and explain that the conditions are great for kayaking and surfing and encourage them to open it as soon as possible.  They will explain that it had been flooded the previous weekend and they feel that they need to inspect the site for damage and/or hazardous conditions and that might take time because they have a lot of sites to inspect. Fair enough, but you can point out, as I did, that kayaking
only lasts for a few weeks in the spring and conditions are currently ideal, and it would be much appreciated if they could get to it sooner rather than later. It may, or may not, make a difference but it can't hurt to call and voice your opinion.

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
Just to let everyone know, apparently the NCC says that bates island is officially closed indefinitely, so it might be good to put in on the ontario side and paddle over to the way.
I was there yesterday, and saw no real signs that it was supposed to be closed. Didn't notice any damage from any erosion activity or anything like that either.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »
Interesting... Level is around 59.9 m according to [http://www.ottawariver.ca/river-levels-flows.php].

--C.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »
Not working on my computer either, though it did work Saturday (and I think I recall it working yesterday as well).

Unfortunately can't make it out to paddle tonight - have fun! I'll be looking at houses, including one on Clearview just a couple of blocks from Champlain Bridge. If I can convince my wife to do the extra bike ride from there (~7:30 pm), then we'll stop by Bate Island for a look.

I still wore my drysuit yesterday, but the water's definitely warmed up.

Cheers,

Stefan

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
Is it just my connection, but Environment Canada Water Office gauge website is offline? --C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
I will go after work today Monday. No more dry suit? Looks like the high levels broke the gauges! Can't access the water level website!

--C.

Offline Stefan Wesche

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »
Happy spring, everyone. My first time on the forum, and I should have gone on yesterday before I headed to Champlain.

The sawhorses were still there at the entries to Bate Island, but the ones at the northbound entry and the southbound exits had been moved aside so people could enter. There were a fair amount of people on the island but not a paddler in sight. I hope someone's going out today, because the wave looked quite nice, and I always want at least one other paddler around at Bate, just in case :)

I'll bet the wave is even better today.

Anyone thinking of going out today?

Cheers,

Stefan

Champlain Bridge is closed due to high water level.
Meet directly at Whispers at 7pm.

See you there!

Paul:-)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Champlain Bridge is closed due to high water level.
Meet directly at Whispers at 7pm.

See you there!

Paul:-)

Offline FeinDenz

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Denzil & 2008 Subaru Forester XT turbo
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 05:41:06 PM »
Bill posted as I was about to see if anyone would be at Whispers tonight, haven't seen any CdBers for months. In March June & I were in Cape Town for my 109km bike race with 35,000 registrants that didn't happen because the infamous SE wind ("Cape Doctor") blew at 100+kph not 50kph, race cancelled for all. 3 Elite riders in hospital within 38 minutes. Watch "CTCT flying bikes like kites" on YouTube. But we're registered for Sunday 11 March 2018 if we want.

We cycled to Hog's Back in yesterday afternoon's beaut warm sunny weather, took videos of RAGING waterfalls, will show you tonight. Not for any w-w kayaker!

Denzil

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
A group of us will be going to Champlain around 6 and heading over to Whispers after (May 11)