Author Topic: Thursday is Paddling at Champlain Bridge Club Night  (Read 44432 times)

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Thursday is Paddling at Champlain Bridge Club Night
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 10:12:16 PM »
Will be down at Champlain after work tommorow. Might head to the pub after.

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
If the famous Paul is there, I also be at Whisper

LOL/MDR :-)

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
If the famous Paul is there, I also be at Whisper 

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
Cool.

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Not sure about Bate Island tonight, but will be at Whispers afterwards. Paul will be there as well

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
May 25: anybody going tonight? Could be the last chance, as river level is droppintg fast... Then visit the pub to iron out weekend plans!

--C.

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
At risk of stating the obvious, a group of us will be at Champlain this evening and heading over to Whispers after 7:00p to cope with this terrible weather...  (May 19)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
Super! I'll be there Thursday after work!

--C.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »
Just got a call from the NCC. Bate Island has been reopened as of earlier today!!!!!

Adam

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
Hi all.

I was just on the phone with the NCC, identifying myself as a kayaker normally paddling at Bate Island. She assured me that the re-opening of the Island was a priority. It turns out that this island is important not just for paddlers/surfers, but to others as well: families pic-nics, fishing etc.: we are not the only ones calling them about it. She believes that tomorrow the NCC website will be updated.

They are legitimately worried about erosion and damage to the island. Let's be realistic: if one young child falls in the river because of wall collapse (or whatever), a mob would be screaming to punish the NCC for re-opening an unsafe island. 

Let's be patient, the river level is still 20 cm higher than peak level last year, see below. If they re-open it by Thursday, let's all go and celebrate it--first in the water, then at the pub! Cheers all...

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 02:29:30 PM »
Thanks for calling them, Adam!

It's important not to sound whiny or entitled, not to brandish 'Navigable Water' etc.

They know that at least once somebody pulled a 'ghost kayak' found empty (but with name and phone number) behind parliament after going down Chaudière Falls in Spring 2007, and how much it cost then to have police divers search the bottom of the river, all the while said kayak owner was busy driving along shore to try to find the boat. Old club members know who that person is (hint: now living in Montréal).

We should instead reassure them that we wear immersion-ready dry suits, many of us have rescue certifications, and that we are a sort of 'quick-response asset' when paddling there, if some bozo ends up in trouble (like the pair in a canoe rescued by a runner, search old news on CBC TV).

So let's see what they do. Level is now going down a bit.

--C.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
I phoned the NCC yesterday. The woman said that there was to be a meeting today to decide when it could be opened. The engineering assessment had to take place to make sure it was 'safe' (health wise etc.) She is supposed to get back to me today.

I encourage others to phone as well.

Adam

Offline egilbert

• CdBMember2022
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the information. I will ferry over from another location and make sure I do not use the island for access. As far as I know, the river is still fair game as long as you don't create a wake...

Elizabeth

Offline rick

• CdBMember2016
  • Class I
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 08:54:14 AM »
When they say closed, do they mean closed to pedestrians as well? I will be going tomorrow after work and either portaging to Bate if pedestrian access is allowed. If not, I will put in somewhere upstream.

Elizabeth

Yes, they mean everyone, both motorists and pedestrians. However the barrier is just a couple of sawhorses and
some yellow tape so you could easily duck under the tape and access the island. However, you would be risking arrest and/or a fine by the RCMP and you could jeopardize the lobbying effort to get the NCC to re-open the site. The best thing you can do is sign the online petition and call the NCC at 613-239-5000  and politely lobby them to get on with their inspection and re-open the island.

Offline egilbert

• CdBMember2022
  • Class III
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:56 PM »
When they say closed, do they mean closed to pedestrians as well? I will be going tomorrow after work and either portaging to Bate if pedestrian access is allowed. If not, I will put in somewhere upstream.

Elizabeth