Author Topic: Sad News on the Ottawa  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Sad News on the Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »
That small set of rapids below Mini-bus (16ft) contains a pour-over creating a retentive hole.
If you happen the swim after your surf ... aggressivley swim in a direction away from this feature. Your friends will pick up your gear.

Larry

She floated downstream holding onto her kayak as the two safety kayakers attempted to get her to the shore.     The three entered a small rapid downstream where one of the rescuers capsized.   

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Re: Sad News on the Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »
This from Eric Jackson:

For Immediate Release:

Eric Jackson

For over 40 years kayaking has provided me with my greatest joy.    Now, it has also provided me with my greatest sorrow.    With profound sadness, I regret to announce an incident that took place in my clinic on the Ottawa River at the Lorne Rapids.     The incident involved an experienced female paddler from the USA who has paddled with me in previous clinics on the Zambezi in Africa, Oklahoma Whitewater Park, and the Ottawa.   

The incident took place on July 4th, 2017 around Noon at the Lorne Rapids.     Our Group was enjoying a rare spring Buseater Wave surfing session, due to late spring rains, at the perfect levels.    Our group was thrilled.     We scouted the rapids, accessed the risks, and each paddler decided if they wanted to surf the wave.    After her best surf, she tipped over when exiting the wave and failed to roll up and exited her kayak.   We had two strong safety kayakers in the water who paddled after her.

She floated downstream holding onto her kayak as the two safety kayakers attempted to get her to the shore.     The three entered a small rapid downstream where one of the rescuers capsized.    It is likely, although not confirmed that she may have been hit in the head by one of the kayaks and knocked unconscious.    Once she was on shore, CPR was initiated by one of the rescuers, who is trained and certified in the procedure, and maintained CPR until relieved by paramedics.     The victim was transported to the Renfrew Hospital where she later succumbed to her injuries.   

This incident is a sobering reminder that any day on the river can take a turn for the worst, know matter how experienced, prepared, and familiar with a river we are.    I am very thankful and grateful for support and assistance of everyone on the water with us, and thank you in advance for offering the victim and her family both respect and condolences.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1