Author Topic: Question on Upper Gatineau River  (Read 1022 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Question on Upper Gatineau River
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
Some comments:

--Like the Ottawa, Gatineau level is controlled by dams, depends on levels of reservoirs up north and is independent of local rain. Its level does not change very fast.
--At high level, all regular lines are the same. Lucifer gets gigantic, High Tension flattens out, Seuil Des Cèdres and Bonnet Rouge pretty much disappear etc.
--i might be wrong here, others might pitch in, but I don't think there would be a problem rafting when the rafters have no experience--provided the guide knows what he/she is doing. It's a deep river and swims are not too scary.

As I wrote, others may have more/different information.

By the way, July 26 is a Wednesday. I am coming back to town that day, so I might be able to go with you later that week.

--C.

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
Question on Upper Gatineau River
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »
Quick question. I would like to bring a group of friends and family members on a rafting trip down the Gat at the end of July. Group consists of adults and kids (ranging from 13 to 16 rears of age). Most have no whitewater experience. Thing is...the water levels are extremely high for this time of year, Bonnet Rouge gauge at 22+ right now. If we don't get too much rain until the weekend of the 26 of July, I'm guessing it could go down to what?....18 maybe? Is this level too high for my group? I'm just thinking in case there are some swims. I wouldn't want to put them in any kind of real danger.