Author Topic: Sat Oct 7, Ottawa Main Channel, 11:10 Westboro departure  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Sat Oct 7, Ottawa Main Channel, 11:10 Westboro departure
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
River Run appears closed for the season, with their normally monitored gate entrance closed.
River Run has posted a sign inviting paddlers to instead use the Wilderness Tours take-out road and kayaker's parking (next entrance to the west,  and bordering the east side of what was Melvin Black's farm). 

At 13:30 that parking lot was almost full with cars.  Fortunately the others had put on earlier than us,  so the only place on the river where our group had to wait for others in line for the same play spot was Push Button.  While the water is cooling down sufficiently that we were thankful of our dry tops, the water was still warmer than early to mid June.  With the gauge reading zero:
- at McCoy: Corner wave was good, but upon washout, it was very difficult not to get washed down;
                   Horseshoe was fully formed, with some effort required to stay surfing on the tongue;
                   Baby Face was deep enough to do cartwheels, but to the left and right of its foam pile, Baby Face was not retentive
- at the Lorne:  Moby Dick rock was well out of the water but the Garburator was not yet a hole and required skill not to quickly wash out.
- Push button and the surf wave above were nice and attracted some park and play paddlers.
- subsequent rapids did not have a lot of play value.

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Sat Oct 7, Ottawa Main Channel, 11:10 Westboro departure
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Liam Peyton and I plan to paddle the Ottawa Main Channel Saturday afternoon.  We are meeting at my place 297 Lanark Ave, (NE of intersection of Churchill and Scott, NW of Westboro OC Transpo bus station), at 11 am with planned departure of 11:10, and entering on the 417 at Kirkwood @ Carling at 11:15.  We have room for one other.  Others are welcome to join us.   Post your interest, or call me at 613 663-4359, and be prepared to leave a message,  as I do not expect to be at my computer or by my telephone until after dark.