Linked Events

• Gatineau River Weekend 2019 Aug 9-11 Discussion: August 09, 2019 - August 11, 2019

Author Topic: Gatineau River Weekend 2019 Aug 9-11 Discussion  (Read 2254 times)

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-4
Re: Gatineau River Weekend 2019 Aug 9-11 Discussion
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
Thank you Yannick :-)

Offline ylockhead

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 01:03:36 AM »
With as yet, no transportation to or from Beast Feast, I choose to now bale out and instead commit to another activity.   Perhaps I'll see you next year at the Aug 2020 CdB Beast Feast / Gatineau River run.  Beast wishes for safe and happy paddling and Beast Feast.

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
I'm looking to car pool with one or more others, for this event as a one Saturday only day event.  If you have room in your car I'd much appreciate an invite to join you.  I can get my kayak, gear and body to a mutually convenient place, and am willing to be a designated driver.  (In my 49+ years of driving, I have never had a serious accident, have had few tickets, have had no at fault claims, and so believe I have have a 10 star ... the highest safety rating my insurance company offers.  Normally in case of accident while I'm driving your car, my insurance would apply, and your rates would not be affected.)

I post this because while 30-40 people typically partake in Beastfeast, it is tomorrow and only 8 have listed their intended participation on this thread.   If one or more of the other 20-30 people going, would offer me a ride,  I'd appreciate it, and such would lessen the load on the Beastfeast organizers, and be an environmentally responsible decision.   Please telephone me at 613 366-4359 if you wish to make an offer or determine suitability, as I do not have a cell phone to continuously monitor this thread.  The only consideration I ask is no smoking in the car because I already have serious permanent lung scarring from 2nd hand tobacco smoke exposure.  I am willing to go up with one party and return with another. If I'm out when you telephone, please leave a message as I'll be out for an hour grocery shopping tonight.   I can also help watch over you as a paired buddy on the river, if that is your desire.

Thanks.

Offline KateM

• CdBMember2023
  • Class II
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »

Wondering if anyone (e.g. those staying over Friday?) are potentially interested in an earlier shift shuttle option, and getting on the river before noon?

(or if you run my shuttle, I'll pay you the $$)  ;p

please let me know!

~ Kate

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »
Thank-you for the clarifications.

Ask and I can bring my 13.2 LBS cast iron grill / shallow pan 8"x14½"x 0.5"deep (inside measurements), if it would be useful to chefs to facilitate slow and even cooking of fish.

At what time should I check back for car pooling arrangements?  Again I am looking to do the trip as one day Saturday day trip.  I am willing to share in the driving and pay the car owner towards gas and maintenance.   I can be the designated driver, and get myself, kayak and gear to meetup with others, ideally in town,  near as they cross the Ottawa River..

On the river, especially after lunch, I can share sweep responsibilities, as I like to usually take it slower than many so that I can play, rather than just run down.  I carry a first aid kit, and have experience successfully relocating dislocated shoulders.

Offline jforbesca

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:43 AM »
Yanick, there are a few of us heading back Sat evening, I am sure we can drop Wanda off.

Doug, I am buying the Salmon this year.

Offline ylockhead

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
Is anyone heading to Beastfeast just for Saturday?  I plan on staying for the weekend but Wanda would like to return to Ottawa Saturday PM.  Does anyone have room to bring Wanda (only her, no boat) back to Ottawa (close to downtown)? 

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Sorry for the confusion Doug,  like previous years the club offer the mains parts (baked potatoes, salmon, corn, pull pork and bunns .
no need to buy thess items.  thanks

I am willing to bring a flash frozen Pink Salmon,  and at the campground,  slow cook it to 110-120°F (like sous-vide, ref: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html )

OR,   if the Club pays the bill, multiple Pink Salmon ... but tell me how many pounds or Kg to buy, and who to give the bill to. 

I'll need a deep dish pan, ideally long enough that I do not have to cut the fish in portions, and heat source.  For those that prefer grilling, I can bring a cast iron grill 8"x14½".  If no deep dish pan is available, I'll make do with my cast iron grill and aluminum foil.

I'll also need to car pool up and back with others ... as I need to do some brake work on my car before taking it more than a short in town distance.   I am willing to share in the driving and pay the car owner towards gas and maintenance.   I can be the designated driver.  I wish to leave Saturday morning and return Saturday night.   I live nearby the Champlain Bridge ... 297 Lanark Ave, ~8 houses east of Churchill,  but can use my car to get my RPM kayak, gear and body to intersect with others' travels via other bridges.

Normally I car pool with Liam Peyton, but he has a scheduling conflict this year.

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »
I am willing to bring a flash frozen Pink Salmon,  and at the campground,  slow cook it to 110-120°F (like sous-vide, ref: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html )

OR,   if the Club pays the bill, multiple Pink Salmon ... but tell me how many pounds or Kg to buy, and who to give the bill to. 

I'll need a deep dish pan, ideally long enough that I do not have to cut the fish in portions, and heat source.  For those that prefer grilling, I can bring a cast iron grill 8"x14½".  If no deep dish pan is available, I'll make do with my cast iron grill and aluminum foil.

I'll also need to car pool up and back with others ... as I need to do some brake work on my car before taking it more than a short in town distance.   I am willing to share in the driving and pay the car owner towards gas and maintenance.   I can be the designated driver.  I wish to leave Saturday morning and return Saturday night.   I live nearby the Champlain Bridge ... 297 Lanark Ave, ~8 houses east of Churchill,  but can use my car to get my RPM kayak, gear and body to intersect with others' travels via other bridges.

Normally I car pool with Liam Peyton, but he has a scheduling conflict this year.

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
I’ll bring 6 lemons

Paul
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:05:30 PM by Paul Potvin »

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
I'll bring some pulled pork as well

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Re: Gatineau River Weekend 2019 August 9-11 Discussion
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:06:43 PM »
Also coming at the event and will be part of the Executive Pork Competition. Hope you will enjoy it :)

Offline Bruce Samhaber

• Administrator
  • Class V
Gatineau River Weekend 2019 Aug 9-11 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 01:06:56 AM »

August  9 - 11, 2019

Camping at Bonnet Rouge Campground on the Gatineau.

This annual summer event is always fun with about 30-40 club members attending. Some people make it a weekend, arriving Friday evening for a quiet campfire, arising Saturday morning and indulging in a hearty Quebecois breakfast. Most decide to drive up Saturday morning for the day trip on the Gatineau followed by dinner in the evening.

Details for this event will be posted at a later time when a volunteer committee sorts it out. If interested please volunteer.

CdB executive.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:09:22 PM by Bruce Samhaber »