Author Topic: Main-Middle Channels Ottawa River  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Bruce Samhaber

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Main-Middle Channels Ottawa River
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »

Kahuna was awesome!!
We need to go run that again so that we can surf Kahuna longer!!

Bruce.

Confirmed today at 4.5-5 ... Colisium is not beginner friendly. I don't remember Kahuna being that big. No "out of boat" experience but it came close.

Anytime a beginner kayaker can get on the water, it is much better than sitting at home. The Middle channel is where the kayak schools take their students. Not challenging enough ... then run the rapids backwards :-)

Larry

Thanks Larry! Exactly what I needed to know. What is a summer level for the Main?

Do the Middle Channel at the current level. You will have a better day on the river. We are not at summer levels yet. Depends on what you consider "worth it", if you consider chasing a swimmer at the Normans or Coliseum "worth it" by all means go down the Main.

Larry

Just wondering what would be a good Main Channel level to bring a strong beginner kayaker? It’s at 7.5 or something like that right now, is that ok? Also, I’ve never ran the Middle during the summer, is it worth it?

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »
Confirmed today at 4.5-5 ... Colisium is not beginner friendly. I don't remember Kahuna being that big. No "out of boat" experience but it came close.

Larry

Thanks Larry! Exactly what I needed to know. What is a summer level for the Main?

Do the Middle Channel at the current level. You will have a better day on the river. We are not at summer levels yet. Depends on what you consider "worth it", if you consider chasing a swimmer at the Normans or Coliseum "worth it" by all means go down the Main.

Larry

Just wondering what would be a good Main Channel level to bring a strong beginner kayaker? It’s at 7.5 or something like that right now, is that ok? Also, I’ve never ran the Middle during the summer, is it worth it?

Offline DominiqueP

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »
What is a summer level for the Main?

I would say between -2 and 0.

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »

Larry

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »

Larry

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:04:13 AM by Larry W »

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
Main-Middle Channels Ottawa River
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »