Author Topic: Gatineau River 2019 Aug 17 or 18 (Saturday or Sunday)  (Read 954 times)

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Gatineau River 2019 Aug 17 or 18 (Saturday or Sunday)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
We had an excellent trip on Sunday Aug 18, departing Scott at Churchill at 9:15.  With 2 ten minute stops on the way, we made it to Bonnet Rouge just in time to join the shuttle of a raft trip, with a wait of less than 5 minutes.  Bonnet Rouge charged us each $13 ... for take-out, put-in and bus ride to the put-in...an excellent time saver.  There, being just before noon,  Liam and I had lunch, enabling all other boaters to get significantly downriver, so there-after we had the river to ourselves.   While the weather on the river was initially cloudy with a few showers,  for the 2nd half of the trip the sun came out and it got warm.  The river was very clean, relatively warm (warm for the Gatineau but still refreshing), and low ... reading 5 feet at Bonnet Rouge.  Being more familiar than LIam with the river, I led on the river, in a manner that Liam did not feel the need to scout from shore.  This left us more time to play.  We took advantage of play spots where they existed, but there were less than normal.  The most significant was in the chute at Bonnet Rouge where I was able to park on the forward slope of the 2nd standing wave hole.   With my Dagger RPM, and an upstream ferry,  I caught and surfed the wave hole for 15 minutes on my way down, and then immediately again from the river right eddy for another 15 minutes.  Unfortunately Liam had a shorter play boat that had too much drag to catch the wave hole.   Coinciding with my last 10 minute of surfing, Liam enjoyed a swim at the Bonnet Rouge beach/take-out.  We made it back to Scott at Churchill at about 19:30.

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
Re: Gatineau River 2019 Aug 17 or 18 (Saturday or Sunday)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
With Sunday being warmer, and having much less chance of rain, Liam and I have decided that failing other participants that want Saturday, we are now planning this trip for Sunday.

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
Gatineau River 2019 Aug 17 or 18 (Saturday or Sunday)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:38:55 PM »
Having missed last weekend, Liam Peyton and I plan to paddle the Gatineau River 2019 Aug 17 or 18 (Saturday or Sunday), tentatively with a 09:15 am Ottawa departure, from my place, just NW of Island Park @ Scott.   While we are leaning towards a Saturday trip, we may be convinced to delay our trip to Sunday to better accommodate others depending upon interest.  In comparison to others, we tend to play a little more on our way down.  Please express interest if you might like to join us.  Tell us if you can bring your car, and if space is available, would be interested in car pooling. We may buy a shuttle to save time if the group is small.