Author Topic: Spring paddling at Bate Island  (Read 1767 times)

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
Re: Spring paddling at Bate Island
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:31 PM »
The ORRPB is forecasting the levels to go up over the next few days: http://ottawariver.ca/forecasts/
and that seems reasonable considering the warm rains that are happening.

Considering that there is a reasonable amount of snow in the basin for this date and that climate models are predicting cooler and wetter conditions for the next ~4 weeks there is a reasonable chance that levels could be sustained above 59.0 for another month. But, things change....... 

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »
Looks like the Ottawa level in town has already peaked! This would have been a very short surf season at Bate Island...

--C.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 02:13:58 PM by ChristianG »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »
Yes, let's just stay home. But judging from bits of info in the news, we're not talkng weeks. I doubt return to normal (if possible) will happen before Canada Day. We might be able to do a corn roast on Labour Day, if there is sweet corn this year: I hope farmers don't just decide to plant cattle corn.

--C.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 08:12:19 AM »
The official request from the City's Medical officer has been the following:

"Therefore, I am asking all people in Ottawa to increase their practices of social distancing. This means limiting non-essential trips out of the home and making efforts to maintain a distance of 1 to 2 metres from other people as much as possible."

That has not changed since the beginning of the Covid19 pandemic. In Canada, officials ask and most people comply. In other countries orders are made and the miltary/police enforce that by roaming the streets.

On the Ottawa Region Whitewater Paddlers FB group a short lived poll was created regarding Bate Island this Spring by Christopher Doubt ... the results are: "I created a poll less than an hour ago about Champlain coming into play, and some ideas on how we could keep access...A pretty impressive percentage of paddlers chose that the best option to keep champlain open, is to STAY HOME."

Spring paddling happens every year at Bate Island; last year there were spring levels in June, this year the spring levels might be short lived.

Stay home, be safe

Larry

Well well... Level is up to 58.9 m, waves are surfable but no eddy to come back up yet. The parking lot is open, but some say water is off-limits. Does anybody know the official position of the city/NCC/RCMP?

--C.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:14:22 AM by Larry W »

Offline Bruce Samhaber

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
That is only the Quebec police blocking Ontarians from going to Quebec. I went for a run this afternoon onto the bridge. The police cars were on the Quebec side of the bridge and they only stopped 1 Ontario plated car but we had seen at least 4 go by us.

That said, why would Ontarians want to go there, Quebec is a Canadian Hot zone. What should really be happening is Ontario police should be keeping Quebecers out as they are more likely to be carrying the Coronavirus. That probably will only happen after there is an outbreak of Ottawans who get sick and it is traced back to coming from someone in Quebec. The Quebec March break travellers are the ones who, unintentionally of course, picked up the virus on holidays south and brought it back. Etc.

The island was still open today but deserted. The eddy is almost full length just looked like wind waves at the bottom. But there was a river of ice coming down.

Bruce.

Offline DominiqueP

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »

Offline Bruce Samhaber

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:56:06 PM »
I biked out to Bates this afternoon.
The eddy is not fully formed but I think it would ok to get back up.
The main wave (3rd) looks a little thrashy though. If I go out I will take a long boat first.
There were 3 kayakers and 1 SUP that had come out of the water and were packing up. I talked to the SUP paddlers, he liked the top wave but not the 3rd wave. He figured that it will be the spectators grouped at the fence that will close it down. 

Bruce.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »
Unfortunately paddling might be put on hold for a bit

Stay home is the underlying message.

Th NCC might close off Bates if they see Paddlers gathering as they have done in Gatineau Parc as skiers gathered in the parking lots. The other parking lots at Island Park drive and Remic are currently open, but I expect those to close too.

Larry

Well well... Level is up to 58.9 m, waves are surfable but no eddy to come back up yet. The parking lot is open, but some say water is off-limits. Does anybody know the official position of the city/NCC/RCMP?

--C.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:04:15 PM by Larry W »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
Spring paddling at Bate Island
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »

--C.