Author Topic: Gatineau River Sunday Aug 9 2020  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Gatineau River Sunday Aug 9 2020
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 05:23:46 PM »
Liam and I had a great day on the Gatineau River.
Reference http://www.bonnetrougerafting.com/images/map_riviere_big.jpg for rapid names and order.

I'm told the gauge at Bonnet Rouge read 15, whereas mid to late August festival levels typically register 4.   I chose to put in at the old public land launch that provides access to the top of the rapids above the put in of the raft company.

The high water meant many holes and playspots washed out or moved, while new ones formed, and the current so strong that if one missed a playspot, it was very difficult or impossible to paddle back.  Examples:

1) Every 30 seconds or so, the standing wave holes at the Bonnet Rouge drop, would intermittently fade and wash out anyone surfing.  I expect I would have been able to remain on the standing waves at levels of 13 ft and below.

2) At the wide waterfall rapid Des Cedres, one prior to the Bonnet Rouge drop, one could paddle up the river right shore and surf in the wave hole, that at lower levels is very trashy.  When upstream surfing in the hole, just upstream of one's bow, there was a steep wall of water maybe 7+ ft high, and downstream of one's stern 4+ ft high.  Liam would not go near the structure until I repeatedly demonstrated long controlled surfs where I disappeared, only to safely re-emerge once I became tired.  As I exited, I then got a chance to catch the wave Liam was playing on.  The large wave hole became the highlight of Liam's day, once he gave it a try.

3) If one got out to scout, one could see that it was safe to run the normally not safe to run center left channel of Le Mur.

4) Because I have been down the river many times, Liam and I felt safe with Liam following me without onshore scouting.  I had asked raft guides about which rapids had sweepers where.  With such information in hand Liam and I converted shore based scouting time into play time.    I did choose to shore based scout Lucifer, so that I could optimize play potential, and recovery routes.   Lucifer was very present and was fed by the normally safe then potentially unsafe wave hole and tongue at the bottom right.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:10:20 PM by Doug Poulter »

Offline kevinamirault

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »
Hi Doug - I am unfortunately out as well. Thank you so much for information and posting the trip though. I hope you folks have a great day.

Offline michael.iles

• CdBmember2020
  • Class I
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »
Hi Doug unfortunately I can't paddle tomorrow with your group. Have a great day on the river!

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
Hi Kevin and Michael,

Thank-you for expressing interest.

Covid-19 safety is an issue.  Liam supports his Mom aged in the middle 80's,  and I am also a high risk senior.

Please do not join this trip, if you:
- are feeling off consistent with any Covid symptom, not fully consistent with an existing medical condition such as allergies or asthma,   or
- in the last 21 days, have not been practicing Covid risk reduction measures - FULLY compliant with Ontario, Ottawa and Canada health directives and recommendations, or
- might on this trip not  practice Covid risk reduction measures FULLY compliant with Ontario, Ottawa and Canada health directives and recommendations. 

The rapids of the Gatineau River are like those of the Ottawa Main Channel at Beachburg, but with more severe consequences of error.

Versus the Ottawa River, the rapids of the Gatineau River collectively present a much greater risk of:
- being caught by a hole and/or a strainer, and
- impact and road rash with the river bottom.
Additionally, the average rapid length is longer on the Gatineau River. This makes it much more important that kayakers:
- quickly choose to portage when there is doubt,
- have the ability to and quickly reliably read the rapids from both shore and their boat, and dynamically plan recovery and alternate routes,
- have a reliable roll, and
- have the presence of mind that if one does swim, where one can without additional danger, swim with one's paddle and boat to facilitate rescue, ideally self rescue. 

Like the Ottawa, portaging is possible and recommended when one is unsure of one's ability to do things safely.   If Liam and I are rescuing one person and their gear, we may get washed down well below the appropriate place to initiate a second rescue.   Additionally, the rescue may force us to bypass play spots, a major reason for Liam and I doing the river.

Because doing portages will generally take longer than a run of the rapid, Liam and I will expect you to quickly initiate your portage if you have doubts about your ability to safely run a rapid.   There is no shame in doing portages, and then playing at the bottom of the rapid where one can still play and face safer challenges.   This is how Liam and I  first mastered the Ottawa and years later the Gatineau River.   Expecting and/or causing other paddlers to wait and provide you safety, when they are ready to move on is inappropriate.

Before risking consequences of the Gatineau, I recommend paddlers becoming comfortable running and playing the Ottawa Main Channel.

That said, if either or both of you are now ready for the Gatineau River, please arrange to join us.

Please communicate with each other to determine how we'll manage shuttle arrangements. 

It appears that you are not part of the same bubble of 10 or less, so will mask up when sharing a car.  It also appears you are driving up on your own to meet at Bonnet Rouge.

No matter what, you will need to mask up and transfer boats and gear at Bonnet Rouge.  You will have to supply your own mask and hand sanitizer, and minimize your direct and indirect touch of surfaces of others possessions.  You will also need to pay a take out and possibly a put in fee to Bonnet Rouge.  Each pair of paddlers, joining Liam and I,  can either:

1) fully do their own shuttles, driving up from Bonnet Rouge (take-out) together to the put-in in one of your cars, and at the end of the day repeating the process with the other car that you left at Bonnet Rouge - the take-out.

2) do as Liam and I have done.  Telephone Bonnet Rouge 819 449-3360, and ask the woman that answers to arrange for another shuttle driver to meet you at and also leave at 12 noon following Liam's car.  Out of respect, please use as much French as you can.  The shuttle driver will return your car to the Bonnet Rouge take-out, eliminating the extra driving you'd otherwise face at the end of the day when you are physically and likely mentally tired.

If there is an odd number of paddlers, Liam and I can add that odd person into a back seat that has not been occupied in the last week, and the person's boat onto the roof rack, with payment of 1/3 of our shuttle driver’s fee.  To minimize Covid risk, we will mask, sanitize, minimize touching, have our gear contained - ideally in one’s boat, and keep the car windows  open during the shuttle.

If you wish, you may in your car, follow  Liam and I from Ottawa to Bonnet Rouge.  Liam and I will be leaving about 9:40 am, from 297 Lanark Ave, NW of corner of Island Park at Scott.   If such, I will supply Liam's cell phone number for last minute synchronization.

If all parties use a shuttle driver, and do not need use an outhouse, my preference is to put in across public land, just upstream of the paid put-in, so that we get to run the warm up rapid, rather than just paddle up to the bottom of the same.

Here is looking forward to by 9 pm Saturday evening, to having you confirm your arrangements by posting here or telephoning me at 613 366-4359.   Obviously if desired, arrangements with Bonnet Rouge for a shuttle driver will likely have to be made much earlier Saturday,  ie TODAY.

Offline kevinamirault

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
Hi Michael,

If we don't hear by tomorrow afternoon I'll give Doug a call.

-Kevin

Offline michael.iles

• CdBmember2020
  • Class I
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »
I'd like to join on Sunday too. I would drive myself up. With the additional people would you want to do the shuttle ourselves, or is hiring the Bonnet Rouge driver still preferable?

Offline kevinamirault

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
Hi Doug,

I would be interested in heading up for this. Were you proposing car-pooling from Ottawa? Not sure I would do that but I certainly could meet for the shuttle.

I've never been to the Gat before - what would be the preferred craft between open boat, C-1 creeker or C1 playboat?

Kevin

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
Gatineau River Sunday Aug 9 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
Liam Peyton and I are planning a "paddle and play" run of the Gatineau River on Sunday Aug 9.  At this point we plan to mask up, and pick up a masked shuttle driver at 11:55 from Bonnet Rouge, who will return our vehicle there for our later take-out.   Put-in will be on the east side of the river south of Maniwalki.  Our likely departure from Ottawa near Champlain Bridge will be about 9:30.  We are open to change in plans to suit others.  Please feel free to telephone me if you wish 613 366-4359, 11am to 11 pm.