Author Topic: Friday Fish Creek - interested?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Re: Friday Fish Creek - interested?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »
Heuummmm....
Our drive from Montreal last Friday took us about 3.5hrs to reach the Taylorville park.
Likely a 4.5hrs drive then if no obstruction at the borders again...but not as likely.

Not sure if I can take Friday off as my boss just dumped one more project on my lap. Would be good retribution to take Friday off...
With all the levels going up, I'd like to do a new river this weekend.

Rob, last we spoke about this you said you regretted going in creek boats.
Still planning to go with a playboat?
LD

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
Hey Rob!

This is very interesting!! I am not working on Friday, so I don't even have to take a day off!! What to do? What to do?

Annie

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
No promises but I am interested.
Which section?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:12:11 AM by JackT »

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
Friday Fish Creek - interested?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
So this rain is pushing Fish Creek up to low runnable on the AW gauge. Some NY boaters paddled it yesterday and posted it was a decent level. The forecast is for rain tomorrow and Friday but 17C. So it should be an awesome level for Friday.  This is an epic 3+ play run (Cl 4 if the gauge is over 6), 9-10 miles, surf your face off on the fly, paddling mostly within a beautiful gorge with layered sedimentary walls and waterfalls pouring into the river as you paddle by.

Bill S is says he will book the day as he has some leave days to take.  Adrian likely has the time and would come, but his passport is expired. Jim Forbes, I hope you are reading this because you said you wanted to get back there.

I'd love to get back there one more time this season. For me, it was like Costa Rica North.

Its about a 3.5 hour drive (1 hour south of Lowville) and 5-6 hours on the river depending how much you play, 1 portage around the dam and the rest is read and run. 

The plan would be to leave Ottawa at 7 a.m., put on at 11sh, back home by 9sh, so you can still make your plans for Friday evening.

Although this is a Class III run, eddies are infrequent and I have read reports of very long swims and some have never recovered their boats after a swim.  Personally I think if you have good river reading skills and good boat control you will have no issues.

Certainly, paddling on the weekend is great. But ditching your responsibilites for a day and going to play when you would otherwise be churning along in the daily grind is simply the best! These days its harder than ever to get away (and limping a little with a fracutured foot), but this river is outstanding and definitely worth it. 

No doubt there are things you "should" do on Friday. But what do you WANT to do. Release your inner delinquent. Take a mental health day, whatever.

Trip will be confirmed on Thursday rain level dependent.