Author Topic: Boating sunday the first  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Steve Harrington

• CdBMember2016
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Boating sunday the first
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:33:08 PM »
Looks like I was the only one who showed up! Waited at RR till 11:00 then decided to ignore the safety rules and paddle the middle alone. I figured there would be lots of other kayakers out and enough traffic to hitch a ride back to the put in. Ended up meeting a group in the eddy at the top of McKoys. Someone from Montreal was taking four beginner friends down the middle. I offered to join them since I figured he might be like a hand with swimmers and it would give me someone to paddle with.  Angels Kiss was nice but Butterfly is awesome at 13. It was the most fun surf of the day. The Montreal group did really well with only a few swims, except for lower no name which one chose to walk, and the other beginners ended up swimming but everyone was ok and they had a great day.

Steve

CDtech

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
Oh no are we all afraid to get wet from the rain! can't make it myself - went padlling yesterday at Champlain and even though I only rolled a few times to cool down - looks like I caught something - runny nose and sore throat this morning!*?*&#%!

Stay safe!

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »
I couldn't get a hold of my friend tonight so it's looking doubtful. I'd like to but there's also thunderstorms tomorrow. If I'm there at 9, it's a go.

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
I'm a maybe too. My friend just got hospitalized and I think I'll spend part of the day with her.

Annie

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 07:36:31 PM »
I'm putting in a maybe. I'm tempted by the idea of surfing at Angel's Kiss. I will be there at 9am if I'm going I have to meet some people later so I'll have to figure out if both can be done.

Offline Steve Harrington

• CdBMember2016
  • Class III
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
I'm in for this trip. I'm coming from the far west end so I'll see you at River Run gate.
9:00 at Westgate should be about 10:30 at RR. I have room for more if anyone
wants to carpool from my place in Carp which is pretty much on the way.

Steve
839-1711

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:49:15 PM »
I'll meet with you at 9AM at Westgate on Sunday

Annie

Offline David macdonald

• CdBMember2023
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
Sounds good, see you Sunday and see anyone else who is interested at Westgate at 9AM.

Dave

CDtech

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
I'm up for the Sunday Paddle on the Ottawa.  Levels look high.  It may be back to the middle if it stays around 11.  Need to be back in Ottawa by 7PM or so which shouldn't be too much of an imposition. Dave

11!!  :o yup that is high - Coli must be huge and BusEater must be somewhat back out - so yes I would like to go Main or Middle - meet up at Westgate for 9 and be back for ?6PM?

Offline David macdonald

• CdBMember2023
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »
I'm up for the Sunday Paddle on the Ottawa.  Levels look high.  It may be back to the middle if it stays around 11.  Need to be back in Ottawa by 7PM or so which shouldn't be too much of an imposition.

Dave

Offline waverider

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »
The ouareau is mainly very good at levels 70 cms and over. At 120 cms, the upper section has a few nasty holes and it his very fast.
Between 40 and 60 cms it is ok. but does not have the HOLY SH*T of the 120 cms. The upper section (aval du lac) has two technical sections just after the falls. The falls are runnable at different levels, but no room for error. After the two technical sections it is mainly big waves class 3 with a few 4's. Watch out for a few holes in the S turn.
The lower section (Les capucinnes) is only big wave trains all the way down. Always stay in the middle. Les montagnes russe first section are very big waves especially the last ones before the pool. The les capucinnes sections is bit more technical. There are big boulders  in the middle of the river the size of a truck and  bigger. THe lowest level I've ran the ouareau is 45 cms. and the highest 115cms. My prefered level is between 70 and 90 cms.

Richard

Paulbatch

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
hey i have recently got roped into working so it would have to be friday or monday at this point.

CDtech

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:44:44 AM »
Hey guys I have got sunday the first off and was wondering if ne one was planning a trip.  Or if there are ne takers for a trip to the ottawa.  Maybe some park and play?

Also would like to paddle on Sunday - Ottawa, Gatineau, Upper or Lower Rouge or even the Ouareau (Sunday/Monday trip) or other Laurentian rivers!?:
most likely the Main of the Ottawa - meet at Westgate for Sunday 9AM or on the Quebec side ? -20km for mileage and much nicer scenery - please confirm

Ouareau: never done it but heard soooo may good things about it : Espaces Magazine "(Mouth watering white water) L?eau vive ? la bouche ! : Si certains mordus n?attendent pas l??quinoxe de printemps pour se jeter dans le bouillon, la fin mars marque officiellement le d?but des festivit?s saisonni?res pour les canoteurs et kayakistes d?eau vive? Situ?e ? 45 minutes au nord de Montr?al, la rivi?re Ouareau est l?une des premi?res sorties pris?es par ces adeptes de remous, notamment pour son int?r?t sportif ? haut d?bit d?eau et les hautes parois qui enserrent majestueusement ses rives.
La premi?re section de niveau avanc? ? expert d?bute en aval du lac Ouareau et plonge au c?ur des paysages sauvages du parc r?gional ?ponyme sur 14 kilom?tres de rapides RIII et RIV. La seconde section, dite des Capucines, se parcourt en trois ? quatre heures avec une mise ? l?eau au village de Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci. Si elle s?av?re la plus populaire et ? priori la moins exigeante techniquement, cette portion n?cessite une ma?trise certaine de la pagaie pour l?aborder en toute s?curit?. Apr?s les d?buts moutonneux impos?s par les montagnes russes, ce long rapide RIV de trois kilom?tres, c?est davantage la fin de la section qui corse l?aventure. Ici, une petite reconnaissance des subtilit?s du rapide des Capucines, variant de RII ? RIV, est vivement conseill?e depuis la rive sur un chemin qui le longe? Car une fois engag?, il est presque impossible de sortir, surtout en p?riode de crue. L?arriv?e se fait ? Chertsey. (Karine Wolter)

Niveau : interm?diaire ? expert. Saison : mi-avril ? fin mai, ou en ?t? apr?s un gros orage! Infos : Le site Internet Myosis offre un descriptif complet des deux sections praticables ainsi que son d?bit d?eau actualis? et toutes les indications de trajet pour rejoindre les mises ? l?eau. > www.myosis.ca"
http://www.myosis.ca/tableau.htm
WOW - great pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/myosis/sets/72157603847229138/show/ -
hmmm had somewhat heard about the Doncaster it also seems very interesting!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:45:59 PM by CDtech »

Paulbatch

Boating sunday the first
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
Hey guys
I have got sunday the first off and was wondering if ne one was planning a trip.  Or if there are ne takers for a trip to the ottawa.  Maybe some park and play?