Author Topic: Analyzing Carnage  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
Re: Analyzing Carnage
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:09:50 AM »
Oh, forgot this.
The swimmer! He clearly had no idea how to swim out of a hole (the old starfish/cannon ball technique) or how to get pulled on a rope (on your back, rope over the shoulder)
Probably the worst of the video, I think
jer

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm new (again) to the forum, so I'll reply to this lol.
Yes and No, but its hard to say, its depends.
1- I agree, this would have helped, but not always possible to do.
2- No eddy to paddle up, camera man just couldn't get there, also, that would have been the worst place to throw rope from. Also, depending on the experience level of that paddler, rushing into a rescue situation might not have been necesary. I think hitting the shore where he did was a good call.
3- At first, there was no rescue needed, just a guy stuck in a hole, it happens. Once he swam, and didn't come out he was a bit slow, yes. But, he was in a perfect position (as far as I can tell, don't knwo whats down stream) to pull a swimmer to shore (if he had flushed out)
4- Fully agree. Too many people try to coil the rope, and throw the coil. Coil the rope, NEATLY (yes, this takes a few extra seconds, but it ensures a clean throw) and then throw the bag, not the coil (this is a skill people should try, its practiced in SRT courses, and is something not many people think about, I think)
5- Rope throw (1st) was alright, but not great. Second sucked, period. Wasn't in a great eddy, so getting out could be tricky, gotta give him some slack there. The fact that no one else jumped out to help is what bothers me, BUT, too many people throwing ropes can actually get tangled together, making a bad situation worse.

This is just the way I see it
jer

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
Whoa, just stumbled upon this post John, scary for sure, jean Nicholas, I agree wityh everything you said. Kinda like they though it was funny and didn't treat it like it was serious until it became obvious it was serious. When you paddle serious class 3 plus water in a group, everyone should take on the responsibility to at least try to help out. It looked like only one or two boaters were actually trying to help out or were aware that something serious was going on.

Paul

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
Well...Im not expert yet since this is my first year paddling and i havent done my river safety course yet but from what I see ;

1- As soon as they saw the paddler getting stuck in the hole, they shouldve warned the other paddlers not to run the rapid because someone was stuck in there. Couldve been a total disaster and other paddlers coulve got stuck!

2- Someone shouldve paddled to the river left top of the hole with rescue gear as soon as they found out someone was stuck.

3- Camera guy wasnt quick with getting his sh*t ready for a rescue.

4- His rope throwing sucked the second time

5- Im not in his shoes so cant really comment on his reaction time / rope throwing etc in such a situation.

Offline JohnN

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
Analyzing Carnage
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »
A friend sent me this mild carnage video with the question "What went wrong?" 

I found it interesting to try to pick out the 'mistakes' that were made, both by the paddler and the rescuer.  While it's always easier to critique from the safety of your chair than during the actual event, I found at least a couple of things that could have been done better.  Comments from the peanut gallery here?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJ4arKco50

Cheers,
John