Author Topic: Who want's to paddle around Ottawa this weekend?  (Read 1327 times)

windowshade

Re: Who want's to paddle around Ottawa this weekend?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
Third photo took I don't know how many takes, like three or four. Really hard for me and Christian to coordonate waving our hands at the same time... ::) We are definitely not cut out for synchronized swimming... :o

Paul ;D

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
Sewer:

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
Hey hey... We had a good stint on the Sewer wave. BTW, my long boat is a full sea kayak; however, it has an insane amount of rocker and well-defined edges for a sea kayak and at only 14' long (compared to 16'--17' typically), it is designed for surfing ocean waves and playing in rock gardens, as opposed to doing long distance open crossings. As is demonstrated by my little friend Ida (below), it's fully outfitted, with thighbraces, hip pads etc. I had it out in the middle waves at the Champlain bridge and it was lots of fun; I even managed a back deck roll... Anyway, I managed to surf Sewer wave with it for a few seconds, but the wave is still short and steep and the nose of the boat was under water the whole time...

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

windowshade

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »
Hey Dave,

Small group today and the wind, thank goodness, was not a factor! Myself, Sara and Christian had a ball, surfing Sewer Wave. Sara surfed and even went for a tour around the small island across from Sewer Wave to test her new boat and then decided to be the official photographer. Christian proved that a capsized 14 feet lake kayak is easily rolled... LOL. When you are on a wave in a white water boat, even an 8 feet plus creeker, you only have to think about that particular wave and the effects it has on your boat. But when you are in a fourteen feet boat, well, you have to compensate for your boat being in two or maybe three waves at once!, and the effect they all have on your boat. Quite complex as Christian experienced. I have to say that his roll was both very quick and dynamic and that he now has a few more scratches on his helmet. But being a judo guy, he probably didn't even feel it! LOL.  I didn't have the guts to try his boat, but I did try Sara's. The RX 6.9 is a sweet little boat, will surf and stay on a wave without any input from the paddler, plus she got it for a song and dance at Paddle Shack. I hope I get as good a deal as she got that when I try for the new 2010 Fun this spring...We finished, as usual, with a meeting of great like minded minds at Whispers! Great day overall! I await the pics!

Cheers,

Paul ;D

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »
Yah might want to find a less windy spot (pumphouse?)
At 1:00:  Wind: W 32 gust 41 km/h

Have fun!

windowshade

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »
Awsome!

Level is up near 3.6 and rising!!! Myself, Christiang, Sarah, Bill and Gu?tan are meeting at Champlain Bridge at 2pm.

Paul ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:16:00 PM by Paul Potvin »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
I do! I do! Paddle around Ottawa! Cool!

But... Is Ottawa an island? Really? Like Montreal? I never thought about it!

Oh... I'm turning into a blon... ooops.

Joke aside, the level seems to be good, 3.55 and rising as I just checked. Sewer wave should be somewhat higher than two weeks ago when we were there.

--C.

windowshade

Who want's to paddle around Ottawa this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:05:39 PM »
Paul ;D