Author Topic: Weekend Paddling Options  (Read 1399 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Weekend Paddling Options
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
Cant make it but keep me posted tonight via text or here! :)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »
Let's discuss that over refreshments and hockey noise tonight!

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »
I updated the levels of river options I had put in! There are other Lower laurentians run that are in but at the really lower end..Then again.. 5-10 mm of rain today might make a difference.. but for how long, who knows!?

I still think Assomption, Diable, Lampson Falls, Blanche Thurso, Ouareau are our best creeking options for the weekend.. then again theres still the Rouge, Ottawa, Petite-Nation which I dont really wanna run this weekend but ill take whatever.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
Okay, so ...I don't want to miss out on the fun, but I  have other committments and will be in the Petawa area so I can only paddle on Sunday. Does anyone know when the surf wave by the park is good (rapid after lovers).

Sandra

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
The Lampson Falls run of the Grasse is 7 miles (but all the rapids are in the first 4) with choice on a number of the rapids to challenge you - No 15 footer like on the Chazy though.  In terms of difficulty I would put it in between the Taylorville and Moshier sections of the Beaver.  You carry in through a State Park and you take-out at a baseball diamond.  The large watershed flowing into it ensures that this section holds its water when everything else has already dropped.  I think Bill will vouch for the fact that its always a fun run. 

So Bill, if faced with a choice between Chazy or Lampson Falls of the Grasse, which would you choose? Why? Curious

If you run Lampson Falls proper, take video. I've been there 4 separate times - never done it, nor has anyone I paddled with and I've never seen any other kayaker run it either.  Those pointy rock flakes staring you in the face pointing upstream give a nasty hint of what's going to happen if you mess up.

Probably Lampson Falls of the Grasse :  better variety of drops, more wilderness-like/scenic (similar to the Hwy 7 runs) and a shorter drive.

Bill

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
Lampson Falls per se: it's very scenic but I don't think I would run that... Look at all the rooster tails: very rocky... Last photo shows Robert checking it out from close!

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
The Lampson Falls run of the Grasse is 7 miles (but all the rapids are in the first 4) with choice on a number of the rapids to challenge you - No 15 footer like on the Chazy though.  In terms of difficulty I would put it in between the Taylorville and Moshier sections of the Beaver.  You carry in through a State Park and you take-out at a baseball diamond.  The large watershed flowing into it ensures that this section holds its water when everything else has already dropped.  I think Bill will vouch for the fact that its always a fun run. 

So Bill, if faced with a choice between Chazy or Lampson Falls of the Grasse, which would you choose? Why? Curious

If you run Lampson Falls proper, take video. I've been there 4 separate times - never done it, nor has anyone I paddled with and I've never seen any other kayaker run it either.  Those pointy rock flakes staring you in the face pointing upstream give a nasty hint of what's going to happen if you mess up. 

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
Looks fun and friendly for sure! Ill try and check it out! Water is coming down in NY.. Chazy is at 5.2 ft.. Indy at 600 cfs... But the Grass is still good so that might be a good option!!

Laurentians that I mentionned still running..I guess Ill wait tomorrow and see!

Some guys are headed on the Raquette and The Large Marge Grass section there... But thats quite too gnar for my skill range!

Offline Late Ray

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:02:53 AM »
I haven't run Lampson Falls proper, but I'm pretty sure it's been run.  I expect it would need a fair amount of water to pad it; 1/2 the lines down the slide end in flat rock.

There are more rapids than shown on the AWW site.  Most of the rapids have more than 1 channel so you can do multiple lines per drop.

R

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
With the weather forecast predicting 15 - 20 mm of rain on Thursday throughout the Laurentians,(Saint-Jovite, Saint-Sauveur, Saint-Hippolyte) we'll have plenty of options for the weekend close to town.
We may have a tough time choosing...

Bill

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
For a second I though you were talking about The Twin Falls one with Large Marge.. I was like.. this is quite a step up from the Chazy haha.

The person that wrote the description on this run talks like Lampson Falls like its not really runnable... Are the flakes THAT sketchy or? Looks alright.. You ever ran it Ray?

Looks fun but short, unless all the rapids arent pictured?

Offline Late Ray

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
If you're considering Great Chazy, Diable, etc., you may want to try the Lampson Falls section of the Grass.  It's much closer to Ottawa than the Indy or Chazy and has a decent mix of rapid types.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:33:45 AM »
My personal choice would be at least the Great Chazy while it runs. Nice variety of features. Waves, Holes, Slides and a nice 12 foot waterfall at the take out!

Otherwise, Diable or Blanche.

The indy and the pet will be running for another week or two at least so I dont mind leaving those out..

Im also in for an Assomption 7 Chutes. Great River to put safety/reading skills in practice and/or learn.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Weekend Paddling Options
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:30:13 AM »
With all that rain in the forecast, here are a few predictions/options for the weekend. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Its a bit early to decide but with 15-20mm rain to "supposedly" come, its fair to say that these runs will hold their levels. Please feel free to post what  you might be interested in running. It will be easier to go from there and plan outings by level of interest and skill level.  I plan on taking Friday off and take advantage of this gift from mother nature when we thought it was all over.

Intermediate / Advanced runs:
The Great Chazy NY is currently at 4.8 feet which is lower end. With all the rain in the forecast for tomorrow, this might be a great weekend option. Class 3+ -4. Solid Brace and Roll Recommended.

The Independance NY is running good at 450 cfs.. this might be a good option for all weekend. Class 4+ -5 Solid brace and roll and creeking experience necessary

Diable A Mont Tremblant is at a good level 26 cms. A buddy of mine ran it last weekend. Class 4. Solid Brace and Roll recommended.

Blanche in Thurso is Running. I have not personnaly ran this yet and this would be a good time for a group exploration of this gem. Class 4+. Roll needed and brace needed

Intermediate Runs:
Ouareau Pont du Gouvernement is at 68 cms. Jean Venne is also running with all the rain. Class 3+ -4. Somewhat pool drop. At least a good brace is recommended.

Assomption Sept Chute @ 36cms  medium level. Awesome Beginner/Intermediate run to try waterfalls and river running/reading skills. Class 3-3+. Good for almost everyone.

Petawawa Town Section and Upper Pet is good according to Phitty. 3.07 on the gauge still and going up slightly. Class 3+-4.

Beginner Runs:

Petite Nation is at 33 cms. Good Level. Lots of eddies to catch. Short run. Class 2+3. No roll needed really.. pool drop rapids. easy safety, great spot to learn.

Rouge Harrington Canyon at 186 cms. Level is higher a bit than the last time we ran it. Class 3. One Big Rapid. No solid roll needed for this one. Pool drop.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:41:57 AM by JohnCyr »