Author Topic: Big Bus! My first surf!  (Read 4495 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Big Bus! My first surf!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
Heres the same surf from a paddlers perspective.. from the moment I feel out of the top eddy to the eddy at the bottom.

https://vimeo.com/67136657

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
That did look very cool. Very nice Jean Nicholas!

Paul ;D

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
Yup! Subbing out is comon on that wave!  Sometimes it just propels you forward a few feet... Setting up on this wave is hard, if nearly impossible.. the wave decides when it sets you up and you need to be quick to thrown your move haha!

I plugged deep and flushed like 15 feet below...Even catching an edge i would flush...

The wavetrain after the wave is big and boily, strong eddy lines etcc... like any big water feel, widowshading or just being upside down, the current almost wants to rip the paddle out of your hands... The current is strong so a swim would not be too fun as you can quickly end up through butchers knife/normans/coli.. But yes, the wave is very forgiving providing you have a bombproof roll and dont mind getting tossed around a bit..

Its not a wave where you want to learn how to surf for sure hahaha.

As far as being easy to catch... you might misjudge the ferry to get to the wave the first few times... otherwise... its fairly easy to line up.. It might green out on you... it might barrel and crash on top of you...otherwise, line up for the foam and hold on tight! :P

It is still in today, as far as this weekend... way too far to even consider it...Weve been lucky to have this 72 hours in a row now.. LOL

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
You disappeared at the end of the video.  Did you roll a bunch or did you flush out?  How forgiving is it?  Is it reasonably easy to catch?  Do you think it will be in this weekend?  (sorry for all the questions but it looks amazing!)

Adam

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
Yes! Roads been open for about 2 weeks :)

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Looks awesome!  Is the road at Pushbutton open yet?  How did you get to the site.

Adam

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Big Bus! My first surf!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
Managed to get to the valley while the wave came in.. theres only a small window where the Big Bus comes in... in between 18.5 and 19.5 ish so it never really is in long... Spent Sunday PM surfing it.. Good Times.. Heres a clip of my first surf on it.. Pretty impressive to say the least...Water is a very powerfull thing.

http://vimeo.com/67005171