Author Topic: Advise on new boat  (Read 5279 times)

Offline DominiqueP

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Advise on new boat
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »

Online Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »

Online Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at the Mamba. There is also the Ace of Spades kayak that looks interesting. Nice looking boat, displacement hull with a flat bottom and soft shines/edge,  blow molded, made in Germany by a new company. They had guys from Eskimo kayak to help out with the blow molding process. Starting to be popular in Europe. Thoughts??

Offline DominiqueP

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 08:42:06 AM »
If you go for more than 48 hours, you're allowed to bring back 800$. So this should cover most of the boat's cost. Also, depending on the boat you buy, if it's made in the US you should not pay duty fees because of the free trade agreement. https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/what-you-can-bring-home-to-canada

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »
I brought a boat back from moose fest... I just didn't declare it, they said nothing.

Offline Seamus

• CdbMember2018
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
U$812 - 2016 Closeout Mamba Lime Green, Mountainman, Old Forge

I think NY tax is 8.25%.

There is also a fee at the border to bring it back into Canada, about $100. Of course if the boat is looks beaten up and scratched from ALF, they may not ask. I leave that dilemma up to your conscience :)

Note: Mountain stores its boats outdoors, so this boat may have been exposed to the elements for the better part of last year.

http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/whitewater-kayaks-inventory.html

Offline DominiqueP

• CdBMember2023
  • Class IV
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
My personal bias: I hate Jackson outfitting, and I have owned 2 Allstars, and 2 Rockstars over the years. Mamba has real outfitting, no strings to pop at crucial moments. You can lock yourself in with ratchets.

I would second the comment about the Jackson outfit. I paddle a Karma and I could never get it quite right. Also, most Jacksons have a more "slalomy" position, meaning the knees are lower compared to your butt. Compared to my Jitsu, the position is quite different. Also, when I go from my Jitsu to my partner's Rock Star, the outfit feels really soft and mushy in the Rock Star.

I paddled a Mamba as a C1 for almost 2 seasons, and really liked it. We now converted it back to a kayak and it's going to be Adam's main down river boat. He already likes it.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:50:57 AM »
I wouldn't recommend the flying squirrel (the boat I own), as it requires you to paddle it quite aggressively to get it to perform.

I'll second the mamba, its a well proven design that people love, and it can do everything, except playboat, really.

I was going to mention the zen, I like the design, but don't know much about it honestly.

Offline Stephen Depooter

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Francois, if you want to spend a little time in a large Zen, i can bring mine to one of the pool sessions.

I won't make the first one, and the second one i already have 2 boats to bring, but anytime after that. 

I can't really compare it to anything else since i don't have enough seat time in other boats.

Offline Seamus

• CdbMember2018
  • Class II
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
Mamba! Mamba! Mamba!

Just sold my second Mamba, and replaced it with a Newmad (Nomad).
I paddled Mamba last year at ALT, if performed well. I am sure my Newmad will be even better suited this year :)

However, if you want edges, and the ability to surf on the fly then Mamba is preferable to Newmad.

Many kayak schools use Mamba as a student and instructor platform, just because it is very forgiving, and easy to roll.

My personal bias: I hate Jackson outfitting, and I have owned 2 Allstars, and 2 Rockstars over the years. Mamba has real outfitting, no strings to pop at crucial moments. You can lock yourself in with ratchets.

Seamus

P.S. Mambas are real easy to resell. There is a big demand for used Mambas, an indication of its popularity. Sold my last well used Mamba for $700.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
Hi François.

--1, 2 and 3 are good choices. Where is the Dagger Mamba 8.6? Nomad L?

--Also, many folks like the big Jackson Zen too as a 'do everything' boat, big enough at 89 gallons.

--The Karma L is... huge. My knees don't quite reach the knee pockets, I would fall out if flipped!

--Riot boats are now made in China, the plastic is a bit soft. The hull is great but dated--and only 80 gallons. It has no edge--a real creek boat. But the real problem is the outfitting. Ask Bastien B-D, who had a bad swim because his new Magnum was stock. Expect to spend a few hours customizing the strange Riot outfitting to achieve comfort and safety.

--My experience with a Burn II (if my memory is correct) on big water (Kipawa) and steeper stuff (Rouge, Aux Écorces, Métabetchouan, others): the boat needs to be paddled aggressively, leaning forward all the time. The rear has some edges and the top part is not round. Not as forgiving as a Karma or Villain, the rear can get tripped by weird currents, eddy lines. Also, the stability characteristics are such that bracing needs to be done early, as once the boat is past a certain angle, it flips suddenly. The Villain and Karma, on the other hand, can be leant at a much higher angle and still recover with a brace. I ended up selling the Burn. Too bad, because with it you can attain and surf the shallow waves etc.

--The new Pyranha Machno solves the problem of the Burn top rear getting tripped by currents, as it has a very round A$$...

--If you are seriously considering the Burn III, consider also the Everest on sale at MEC for 999$. It's a bigger version of the Burn II unless I am mistaken.

--In general terms, due to the height of the rear part of the cockpit rim, where the hips are, the Burn and Everest are a bit harder to roll. Again, the new Pyranha Machno solves the problem by having a very low cockpit rear, à la Dagger Nomad. Compare the images below.

Have fun shopping!

--C.

Online Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
    • My YouTube channel
Advise on new boat
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
So I've decided to switch from canoe to kayak. My knee condition is too severe for me to continue to boat in a solo canoe.  :'( Snif snif.  I will sell my Project X64 playboat (which I have re-converted from C1 to the original kayak seat an gear, in really great shape) and my L'Edge and buy me a brand new creeker/river runner kayak. I will post pictures of my boats for sale in the upcoming weeks if anybody is interesed. So now I would need advise. I am used to Jackson kayaks since I've paddled a Hero and Villain as C1s. I've just recently borrowed a medium Karma from Daniel to try it out in a pool and like it very much. Pretty fast and stable, easy to roll, and the adjustment set up is pretty straight forward. I think I like a bit of edge to my boats, really like to carve. Anyway, I want to treat myself to a brand new boat, and that will be the boat that I will have to get used too since I won't be able to do any testing before purchase (except for the Karma). The boat must be fairly fast and stable, have a bit a edge and must survive Tennessee creeks and rivers. ;)  I am not a play boater but I do enjoy surfing a bit when running rivers. So here is a list of boats that I think could do the trick for me. What do you think?

1. 2016-17 Jackson Karma (medium or large?, plastic quality? more expensive than the boats listed below)
2. 2016 Ace of Spades (built in Germany, blow-mold, looks really sick, on sale right now)
3. 2017 PYRANHA BURN III (reasonably priced, MEC, popular)
4. 2016 Riot Magnum 80 (almost half the price of the boats listed above)