Author Topic: Spring Paddling: Ruisseau Bonniebrook Saturday April 16  (Read 2477 times)

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Re: Spring Paddling: Ruisseau Bonniebrook Saturday April 16
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »
Sorry guys for the long wait while the 7 others got down the second stretch.
And thank you all for the nice (but cold) river day.
I was very tempted to add another extra hour and half of driving to join the gang for food stop in Hucksbury.

The first part was almost ... romantic...
Nice river.
(We can see that with slightly less water this would become a knuckle-fest, scraping bottom quite often.)

The second part definitively opened up, became steeper and provided more challenge (and a few swims).
The Chile trip surely paid off; Sandra doesn't even need a paddle anymore to do the more difficult sections...
My confidence level is still very humble, but I felt my lines were better and bracing much more effective.
I heard the comment:"After Chili, this will look very easy."
My main concern was to fall into into too much confidence and possibly cockiness and getting bitten in the buttocks for my stupidity.
Hopefully Chili has thought me river respect and humility along with better paddling and river reading skills.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to see one of our more experienced paddlers skip the first significant drop of the river; it takes more courage to listen to reason than to listen to your d*ck or fall to peer pressure.

We closed up shop a few hundred meters before the end of the full run, but with the hardest section ahead, everybody getting tired and cold from the water and snow... and the late hour, bailing out was the right decision.
And a good reason to do it again next year.

Bonniebrook, check!

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
Thanks for posting Todd! Fun run on Saturday, picking our way down the lower section. The last two falls above the bridge drop are definitely beckoning!

Todd

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:16:35 PM »
As requested:

Jacques - Bridge drop

Daniel - Same drop

Lovely day - it was snowing more then shows in the video

Lower section - play by play

Great day on the river, I'd like to make it back there and run the full lower section!

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
Here's a video from the Bonniebrooke from a couple of days before with more water and much more sunshine...

http://www.vimeo.com/22480843

Bill

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »
Ow, that hurts Sandra....

Paul

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
Wow! I can't believe no one has written in about our adventurous day on the Bonniebrook. 12 people braved the cold temperatures, snow and even hail. The first part was quaint with little bridges and beautiful homes. There were nice waves and drops throughout and a few rapids to scout. We took a late lunch break on the 18th hole, but there were no golfers to be found. Though Toy Soldier did help Paul find more golf balls by throwing back the ones he had already found:)

7 of us decides to run the second half. Thanks Ray for the napkin drawings though I have to say I could only remember the pillars and then couldn't remember what that was supposed to mean! There were 2 decent class 4s that had some must make moves to avoid holes or rocky swims. They sure got my blood boiling and really made me feel alive! Todd - post the videos when you have a chance.

Special thanks to the rest of the CDB crew who waited patiently for Ray's '15 min' run that took us almost 2 hours...I will remember the look on both Wendy and Jacques face when they asked where the take out was...and we said, we didn't know where it was or on what side of the river...luckily Rob pointed out it was near a bridge... and we found it not too far downstream...Larry even gave me a granola bar when he saw us...I think we had them worried...

Finally , when I was at Champlain tonight I was talking to a girl in the eddie and she mentioned how 'some old guy' (Paul) was telling about some girl who ran a drop without a paddle...Thanks Paul.  and thanks Bill for explaining what to do next time. Not only do you need to duck, but your paddle needs to be beside you when you paddle under a low bridge. Duh!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:14:28 AM by Sandra K »

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
ca vas ?tre le fun!!!

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Bill,

I'm going with Todd, Daniel and Jack.

See you in Hawksbury.

Paul

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
Bonniebrook on youtube. Two good vids.. it will give you an idea for tomorrow!

Enjoy

Paul:)

http://youtu.be/CzgNYDOWc0A

http://youtu.be/76LLpbTUCgk

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
Which  drysuit did you get Sandra?

Paul

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Joanne, thanks for the offer...I already rented the Villian S which I paddled in Chile so I should be okay with it...though I wouldn't mind trying out your boat at some point as I hear it is good. Feel better. Champlain is amazing right now.

Decided to stay fit and buy a dry suit instead. This paddling season is getting expensive for me!

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
I'll just have to pack on a few pounds before tomorrow so I can stay warm.

Can't wait to paddle with Fat Sandra again...
Especially if she wears that black underwear outfit again...
Even Birdy Potvin is coming out of his shell for the occasion!!!

Hawkesbury isn't a good meeting point for me coming from Montreal.
Need to work out a rendez-vs point closer to the river.

Here is a warning note from earlier this week on the Bonniebrooke:
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:31:48 -0400
To: liste@cckevm.org
Subject: [liste CCKEVM]: Arbre Bonnibrooke
Il y a 2 arbres qui barrent chacun des 2 c?t?s sous le pont du domaine B?riau.  Lundi, le c?t? gauche ?tait libre mais mardi un tronc est venu se loger en la rive et le pilier central sous 4 pouces d'eau au niveau d'aujourd'hui.
Soyez averti puisque que le pont est dans une courbe.
Boilleau

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Hey Sandra, I am getting over a nasty cold so staying local. (can't forego paddling altogether) as such, neighbor, if you want to borrow the mamba, pls let me know.
Not sure where new boat vs play boat fits within the comfort zone, but if you would like to borrow it, it's yours. I wake up early so if you give me a head's up tonight, you can pick it up in the morning no problem.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
Rob, don't think that could be better said. I can just hear Bill saying, 'not recommended' (which I actually thought he would say to me after my experience at Lovers!)

A Villian S. is reserved... I'll just have to pack on a few pounds before tomorrow so I can stay warm.
Butterflies have already started... Yeah!!

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »
Sandra, what Bill should have said is "not recommended."  You have a good roll, but the river is high and you will have to use it more than you want in that boat on that river in those temps. Remember your line through Lovers?  Hit repeat several times over in shallower water with more chance of face to rock contact.  We will be more entertained if you paddle your ID. You will be happier in a dedicated river runner.  My .02.