Author Topic: Rouge for Halloween Saturday  (Read 4971 times)

windowshade

Re: Rouge for Halloween Saturday
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »
You made quite an impact ;), that's for sure!

Paul ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:06:50 AM by Paul Potvin »

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
Hey, I've always said I would make a big splash somewhere someday ;D and that is why I landed it so flat.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 06:33:44 PM »
More... Notice the 'Colours of the 80s'...

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:36:45 PM by ChristianG »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi all.

The trip to the Rouge was a complete success. We all managed to stay warm, and the water was still ok for my bare hands. Some had brought big creek boats, but I knew I would have fun in my playboat, and I was happy to see that Dave McD and Robert M had a great day too in their small boats. Louis was remarking how our little gang had improved since last year. Indeed. This was possible, in a major part, thanks to the patience of the more experienced people who have helped us!

First drop: I completely screwed up the line, and was sent flying towards the sky, only to plunge right into the hole we were supposed to avoid. Luckily I was the first one to go, so everyone else who was waiting above saw exactly what NOT to do... From the pool below, I watched Bill demonstrate the proper way to do it (he's the only one who stayed upright).

I must say Annie's run backward in the Washing Machine was at first scary, but in the end she only had trouble in the funny waters way below the drop. Unfortunately her boat ended up pinned against a rock, but a nice lady who happened to be there managed to retrieve the boat!

I always chickened out of the seal launch between the last two big drops because I didn't know actually how far downstream the next drop was. As we were to see very soon afterwards, it is quite far away and there is a lot of distance to recover if anything happens during the seal launch. Next time I'm in!

HW 50 will cross the river approximately 50 m upstream of the last waterfall, and certainly as much above water level. The canyon is very narrow and deep, definitely not Park'n'Play. In the rain and fog of last Saturday, the incomplete bridge pillars (six-story high IMHO) looked very impressive, reminiscent of some post-nuclear apocalypse scene... Good thing is, the river practically isn't affected.

This section of the river is quite nice. It's not as beginners-friendly as the Gatineau or the Ottawa, but something to consider with a little experience. No flatwater to speak of, and there is a nice warm-up rapid at the beginning. Followed by a section of class II-IV rapids more or less continuous. After that, at anything but the lowest water levels, there is a long and painful portage to avoid five major drops. Between the last two is a long flat-ish section that can only be attained by a seal launch (Dave H), or down a nasty gully (most of us). After these five drops, the home run, a class II-III continuous rapid that is very fun. We took the boats out under the HW 148 bridge, meters away from the Ottawa river.

Look at a few photos! Cheers...

--Christian

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

windowshade

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
I think seals should sue that guy for misappropriating the term seal launch! Too funny Christian, you should definitly post that on boatwerks. Paddlers will laugh themselves silly!

Paul ;D

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
Does anyone know the level at the Owl gauge?

8.5 this A.M. according to: http://www.ottawakayak.com/

That Britannia # looks promising!

I have to say that my seal launch on Saturday went a bit smoother than this guy's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFP2NJU0BU&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_rev-rn-HM

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
"This is possibly the last outing of the season..."

No... Let's try another run!

Does anyone know the level at the Owl gauge? Also, the Gatineau was quite low two weeks ago (10.5) but may be rising due to rain. Then the Rouge is above 100 now... Finally, the Britannia is above 3.4, rising...

--C.

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Rouge for Halloween Saturday - report
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 11:01:43 AM »
So, we went to an Halloween party on the Rouge and got all dressed up for the occasion.

This was my first time on the Rouge and I enjoyed the descent, company and action.
Annie, Christian, DaveH, David McDo, RobertM and our venerable Bill (and I) braved the inclement weather and got blessed with a great day on this mostly wild river.

The river has a nice wild feel to it...and of course no raft to contend with.
Some eery scenes with the bridge under construction, the giant crane and concrete pillar.
We took the easy way out from the falls section (really? that Habitat 80 didn't feel like the easy way out at the top of the stairs...)

To balance out our heavily testosterone loaded team, another female party of 2 shared the river with us.
We got to see them dig into the 'best' features, heu, head first, including the washing machine.
Annie, not to be bested by these young ladies, upted the ante and decided to go in the washing machine backward.
After a "clean" bill of health, we kept moving downstream.

The girls from the other party showed us some potential lines in the first significant rapid. Then Christian and McDo led our own way through; kayaks and things things flying left and right...setting the pace.

DaveH went for the boof before the last fall and did a flawless demonstration.
I decided I'd practice my seal's skills and tricks with a beach ball over the winter, before trying that next time...
Onk! Onk!

Although it rained most of the day, I stayed warm staying upright (but for once), thanks to the now less unfamiliar big Habitat 80 and the accelerated heart rate crancked up from anticipation especially before that Washing Machine. Next time, Louis, don't forget your undergarments, best way to stay warm.

Papa Bear kept a close watch and made sure everyone had a good day.

I had to scoot right after the takeout and missed the well deserved post partum discussions over some hot drinks; parental duties pulling me into about 4-5 more hours of driving, still ahead for me.

This is possibly the last outing of the season and a good ending as far as I am concerned.
Wrapping up a great personal 3rd season; the Achigan with the old boys, riding the rooster tail on the City Section of the Petawawa, surfing Garb and a prime Transformer wave...
I did miss the Beaver and the Moose (grrr)...but this leaves some good stuff for next year!!!
Ah! Next Year!!!

LD

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
Re: Rouge for Saturday?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »
If we leave at 8h30am, what is the expected ETA and return time?
LD

10:00 at the take-out (we could be driving in the rain so allow a couple extra minutes for that). 11:00 warming up on the river. Hmmm the take-out, I usually just say whenever, more or less like an Ottawa River trip. The length of river time will be similar to a decent day running the Ottawa...perhaps an extra half hour?. So whatever that gives us.

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »
Robert I'll grab Christian in the A.M., and that means I won't be stopping at the CEGEP like I was hinting that I might. It would be nice to find a practical parking lot over on that side of town though for future trips to the Rouge, Gat., Little Nation, etc.

The level has started to turn after all this rain and it will be on the plus side of 80 for tomorrow, but I imagine still under 100 (or 110 anyhow). Pretty much ideal for good features, and not too flushy, from what I remember of the river.

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:55:57 PM »
I thought of bringing the Mamba, but there's a bit of a walk and it is heavy!!

Annie

Robertm

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
Hi Christian,
If you find yourself without ride give me a call. Please check your pm for the phone#. Since it's a bit of a detour for me I won't be offended if you get a ride from someone coming your way. And lastly, to avoid confusion, I'm still aiming at Westgate at 8:30.
Robert
Hi all.

The Rouge level is going down a bit, it's now about 75. I'm bringing my Super Star, since we all did it at a much higher level (over 150) in playboats, and that was fun... But Annie, unless I'm wrong, the last waterfall is always runnable, so maybe you can bring the Mamba!

Dave H., there is a chance that I would need you to come pick me up, as maybe Sara will pass on this run. Since you may not have intenet at home, here's my phone #: 613 355 2470, and I live at 87 Goulburn Apt. 2 in Sandy Hill (i.e. it's on everyone's way for a change). Give me a call! Or, alternately, since I am also on Bill's way, maybe I can get a ride with Herr Schlarb?

I'll talk to Sara soon, but I just wanted to post something before everyone goes home.

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »
Hi all.

The Rouge level is going down a bit, it's now about 75. I'm bringing my Super Star, since we all did it at a much higher level (over 150) in playboats, and that was fun... But Annie, unless I'm wrong, the last waterfall is always runnable, so maybe you can bring the Mamba!

Dave H., there is a chance that I would need you to come pick me up, as maybe Sara will pass on this run. Since you may not have intenet at home, here's my phone #: 613 355 2470, and I live at 87 Goulburn Apt. 2 in Sandy Hill (i.e. it's on everyone's way for a change). Give me a call! Or, alternately, since I am also on Bill's way, maybe I can get a ride with Herr Schlarb?

I'll talk to Sara soon, but I just wanted to post something before everyone goes home.

--C.

windowshade

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »
Okay Annie, have some fun!!

Paul :)

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »
But I did it in the Orbit (my old play boat) at 170. Now it's half of that and I'm serious paddler  ;).